Chapter Seven: Cornered

"Only those who care about you can hear you when you're quiet."
-Unknown

⚜️
Em saw the pair take up the dance floor, the guests both service people and highborn looked at them with awe. One can't help it, Lady Warrick was wearing a very expensive pretty gown and she was the only red head in the party, you can't miss her. Then there was her fiancé, wearing a blue and white outfit. Damian was breath-taking.

Together they danced to a waltz, if she had not witnessed the exchange between them she would thought that they looked smitten with each other. That was, of course, not true. Damian did not wish to marry her but Lady Warrick seemed to feel the opposite.

Em sighed and leaned against the wall, here she was, in her huntress outfit successfully gaining nobody's attention. Just as she planned. So why was she upset?

The dance ended and she saw Lady Warrick plant a kiss on Damian's cheek, she could have been aiming for his lips but he was too tall for her. Damian was surprised, he turned his head and they caught her gaze. For a moment she thought he'd come to her and apologize. But he pulled his fiancé away from the crowd.

It was enough. She was not made for these parties and games. Em squeezed against the crowd, determined to get away as far away as possible. She dared glanced back and gasped when she saw Damian making his way towards her. She immediately slipped away, ignoring his calls.

There was a servants hallway just behind the stairs, the guests sometimes mistook it for a secret room and were often found having trysts. Em knew she can hide here, no way Damian would chase her down here. She only prayed she won't find couples giggling in the dark.

Em found the curtain and parted it away, her foot was familiar with the way so she did not need light. She turned at the end of the hall way and sat down at an old couch left for servants to use when they needed respite from work.

There were footsteps echoing down the corridor, Em held her breath. Hoping Damian would find the door leading to the kitchen instead of the tiny space she was hiding. She crouched at the farthest corner of the room with the cloak to hide her, she hugged her legs against her chest so she curled into a tiny ball.

"Rose? I know you're here.."

Damnation.

He barely called her Rose if he meant well. Tonight, he was certainly meaning to seek her out.

"Rose? Please, can we talk?"

His voice was getting close, Em clutched the cloak around her securely. Damian's hand were trailing the wall and made little thump thump sounds.

His foot suddenly halted across where she sat, Em did not move. Mayhap, he'll think her cloak was an old rag lying in an old couch?

"What are you doing?"

Oh dear lord. He knew.

Em parted the cloak and slid off her feet down to the floor, then she pulled the hood back. There was faint light coming from the makeshift window above her. The moonlight bathed her face with a soft glow.

"I'm hiding. Can't you tell?"

"Why?"

"I'm supposed to be a huntress, no one must know where I am."

Damian shook his head, "I do not understand this game you're playing." He offered his hand to her, "Come with me. Let's have this night to ourselves while we still can. The party is at it's peak, we won't be missed. I swear, Rose."

She flinched, no one called her Rose anymore. Why did it affect her so when he said it? It was his mother's idea she be called like the flowers the Duchess liked. But before he left, he liked to call her Rose or his little Rosie.