Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner

"Family is not an important thing. It's everything."
-Michael J. Fox

⚜️
That night, the Davensports dined together. From Vincent to his wife and their children, all present. Lydia put on her best bland face as she sat next to her fiancé. Across her was Lady Julianna and Damian's twin, the one she never heard of before. How odd it felt that whenever she stared at the man, she saw Damian's face?

"Lydia dear, how have you been?" Lucille asked.

She smiled, "I am fine now Duchess."

"Please, call me Mama. You'll be part of the family soon."

"Thank you...Mama." The word felt strange to her. She'd never addressed anyone besides her own mother. Perhaps in time, she'll get used to it.

"I believe you haven't officially met my other children," Vincent called and pointed at his second son and only daughter, "as you can see, this one here is Damian's twin, Dathan." The man gave her a brief nod and lifted his wine glass. Well, that was one warm welcome. "And my only daughter, Julianna."

"Pleased to meet you Lady Lydia." The girl said.

"Pleasure is mine Lady Julianna. I may call you Julianna, right?"

She smiled and it made her look younger than her actual age, "Jules is fine. It's shorter."

At least one of them was happy to meet her. Perhaps it was the feminine side that gave her the advantage. Jules did not have any women companion besides her mother. At least Lydia had Evangeline, she had been more of a friend than a servant.

"Have you for forgotten your manners Dathan?" Vincent's voice roared from the head of the table, Lydia tried not to stare at him. The man across her merely placed his wine down and glanced at his father.

"I came here as soon as I received your summon, Father. I apologize if I had missed the welcoming party. Damian and I can catch up later."

"You know exactly what I meant young man. Your younger sister can better greet a guest than you ever did! Has your head been so damned dull while you were away? What would Lady Lydia think of us?"

Dathan glanced at her, he had the same blue eyes but much darker than Damian's. "I think it's best not to hang our dirty laundry here, Father." He dropped his gaze and continued stabbing his food.

Vincent fumed and tried not to retort back. There were ladies present. He'll take care of the idiot later.

During the rest of the meal Lydia remained quiet. She stole glances at Damian but he was too occupied with something else. She glanced at Dathan and found him looking at her. His eyes no longer appeared dark and morose like when he spoke with his father. This time she could see that he was sorry how poorly the conversation went. It was odd but she felt he meant it that way. No words were exchanged but she just knew. She finally dropped her gaze, feeling embarrassed.
******

After the meal, Lady Lucille invited Lydia and Jules into the drawing room. The men rose and gathered into Vincent's study.

"Let them talk dears, Vincent hasn't seen Dathan in years. I'm sure they'll be catching up with a glass of bourbon on their hands."

Lydia hoped Lucille was right. Because she felt that Dathan was about to get a lashing from the Duke. There seemed to be a missing part here. Why hasn't she heard of him before? And why does Vincent treat him like he wasn't his son?

"Jules, why don't you entertain us with the pianoforte?"

The young girl was too happy to oblige and went into the far end of the room. She began to tinkle on the keys and Lydia found it soothing. Music can do that.

"Would you like some tea, Lydia?"

"That would be nice, Mama."

Lucille rang for a servant and for awhile they just sat there listening to Jules playing a lovely melody.

"I apologize for what happened at dinner." Lucille perched on her chair, back straight and her face was pleasant. Very regal. She was a picture of a Duchess. "Men are a bit different with words. They say the things that they don't actually mean that they end up hurting each other. My husband adores all our children. They have been the greatest achievement in our married life."

"I'm sure The Duke still feels the same."

Lucille smiled ruefully, "It's not a secret that our second son is difficult. Ever since he was a boy, Dathan had been the odd one. He broke the rules, he squabbled with other children and often did things that drove Vincent mad." She paused when the tea arrived, I waited until she continued, "Damian may have told you that his brother was his opposite. On that, we agreed. My first born was gentle, caring and very obedient. His twin may share his wit and charm but would always end up surprising us." Lucille smiled, caught in a memory when the boys were still little, "He had been the bully and I often asked myself where he came from. If they did not look alike, I may think my son had been switched at birth."

"He sounds like an interesting man, Mama. Though this is actually the first time I've heard of him."

"Indeed?" She lifted her tea, "It must've slipped Damian's mind. I'm sorry about that dear." But behind that smiling face, Lucille appeared concerned.

Lydia doubted her fiancé forgot. They've known each other for sometime now but he never mentioned having a brother and a twin at that. She wondered what other things he had hidden.

"I'm sure he did. There had been a lot things happening lately and Damian's not the talking type."

Lucille was about to say something when the door to Vincent's study burst open—which happened to be across the open door to the parlor. A very angry Dathan appeared. He paused at the door when he saw his mother and Lydia.

"Good evening ladies. I'm afraid I would be a poor companion tonight, I shall retire in my chambers." He bowed slightly and left. Pretty soon the rest of the men came pouring out of the room.

"Come back here young man!" The Duke's voice rang along the hallway.

"Let him go Father." It was Damian. His hand held his father back, preventing him from going after his brother. He is ever the practical son.

"That brother of yours has overstepped his bounds! We cannot just ignore it."

"Of course not Father. But Dathan just got here, do give him some time alone."

The men were oblivious of their presence. Lucille cleared her throat and they both turned , "Vincent, Damian? We have guests."

The Duke was too upset to even respond to his wife. It was their son who nodded, "Apologies mother, Lydia. We'll just be in the study."

Damian gestured his father back leaving the women to their tea. Lydia was glad that Jules have not heard the exchange, she was far too absorbed with the music and was quiet far from the door.

"My, my. This is turning into quiet a spectacle, isn't it? You must think of us as a hot tempered sort of family."

"It is fine, Mama. As you said, men are different. I'm certain they will mend this rift between them."

"I hope so dear, I hope so."

Lydia prayed it would. Because she wouldn't know how to handle these men if they kept trying to tear each other's throats. They continued to sip their tea in silence.

She bid Lucille good night and went to her room. Evangeline had retired earlier so she had the room to herself. She was just donning her sleepwear when she heard voices outside her room.

"...are you alright?" It was a woman's voice.

"I'm fine. You know father, he says the most appropriate things at the right moment."

Lydia recognized Dathan's voice and wondered who he was conversing with. The woman's voice was far too faint to discern her exact words. It was easier to her Dathan's because he had a deeper tone.

"Will I see you again?" He asked.

The woman must've nodded because she heard a door close. Have they gone inside his chambers? She wanted to peek and see for herself. But she couldn't hear anything anymore. Are the men in this house keeping mistresses in one roof? She hoped not. But she wanted to find out.