Chapter 55: Surrender

"There comes a time when nothing is meaningful except surrending to love."

-Rumi
⚜️

"You do realize you ought to have been home before dark, do you?"

Em pursed her lips and waited until Dathan closed the carriage door. The driver may have ignored to look at them but he could definitely hear them, she could not possibly retort back while he was still within earshot.

Once the carriage started rolling away, she turned her eyes at him. "Your mother, my mistress, has given me permission to accept the countess' invitation. And there is no need for you to pick me up like I was some child."

"I happen to be your mistress' son. And you are an unwed woman, you cannot go around alone unchaperoned."

"Well, do you wish me to thank you? May I remind you that the countess has sent for me and has promised to send me home on their carriage."

"A carriage with Hanselworth." He scoffed. "If I knew any better, the countess wishes for you to ruin her son's virtue just so you could end up marrying the fool—also known as her son."

Em scowled, "How dare you say something horrible about the countess. She intend no such thing!" But when she thought on it, Dathan may have a point. Was it not the countess who urged her to visit the bell tower? And had she not argued her son to accompany her? But Margeary did not like her, that was said plainly. Why would she allow her son to make such a stupid mistake?

"You've gone quite. I thought you'd appreciate me coming here."

"I was just thinking. You are not entirely wrong." Em said.

"I am glad you can see where I am coming from."

"But, we have no proof that the countess orchestrated such a thing. So it is best to keep these thoughts to yourself. It is not like she forced Gideon and I to be alone."

Dathan's browse came together, "You and Hanselworth were left alone?"

"I..uh..it was just for a short period of time. Nothing happened!"

"There better not be, Em. Because if that man did something forcefully, I will challenge him to a duel."

She sighed, "Surely you will not go that far for me."

"Oh, but I can and I will." He sat back on his seat and composed a superior posture. "I will do anything to protect what is mine."

"I appreciate the thought, Dathan. But I am not yours."

"Have I not been led to believe we had an agreement?" He snapped. "You gave me your permission that we can, your words not mine, that we can nip here and there." His eyes locked with hers. "And so, I drove like a madman from Fairclough to the towers to pick you up. Because I want a nip here and there. That meant you are mine and I closely guard whatever, whomever that may be. I believe you feel the same way."

Em wanted to pull her hair until none was left. She should have thought well and hard before making a rash decision. But what's done is done. She cannot deny any longer that her body yearned for his touch and all the things he could promise. "We signed no papers, Dathan. We are not bound by law because of what we agreed. Also, I do not remember asking you to stalk me. How did you even knew where I was?"

"From Carol, of course. And I have to stalk you, Em. Or else how can I honor that agreement?"

"Well, I wish to make changes. No more stalking! From now on, you will know my whereabouts but to not interfere with them. Whether you knew whom I shall be spending those moments."