Chapter 56: Scheme

"Schemes are like fruit, they require a certain ripening."
-George RR Martin

⚜️

The carriage shook from the blows that it took after Dathan was thrown against it. His eyes veered away from the surroundings and tried to focus on one thing only: his brother.

Damian relaxed his fist. He had just punched his twin and it took all self control not to do so again. So he stood there and stared at Dathan's face with a bloodied mouth and an angry look.

"What did you just say?" He asked.

Dathan spat out blood but only because he wanted to show his brother that he was unharmed, "I shall marry, Emelia."

"You have no right."

"I have. I have more right that you ever will."

Damian scoffed, "What makes you think you can marry her? She is but a servant."

"You would not have hit me if she was. Whatever you say will not change my mind. I care naught if she is beneath my station or if she used to be a lowly chambermaid. She is a woman to me. We both know she is more than just a servant. You, yourself, loved her once."

The last word was barely out of his mouth when Damian hit him again. This time, on his stomach.

"I still love her, you idiot. What makes you think I am letting her go? And why you, of all people? Why did you have to like her?"

Dathan clutched his brother's shoulder and used it to brace his footing before using his head to smack him against the face with force. Damian was thrown back and had lost his balance. He fell down on his shins.

"Why can't it be me? Huh? You said it yourself, I should act on it rather than play dumb." Dathan said. "But only this time, I am not planning on making her my mistress. She will become my wife."

"What none sense are you talking about?" And then it hit him. That talk they had on his room, about his brother asking if he could marry a servant. His eyes widened, "Back then, you were talking about her?"

"Oh, you remember. So what?"

Damian slowly rose to his feet, "Now it makes sense. That was why you were angry when you found out about our affair."

"That and because I hated the idea that you," he pointed at his older brother, "have ruined her and yet you discarded her so easily."

"I did not discard her nor ruined her, she ended things with me before the wedding. There is nothing between us."

"Then why are you hitting me now?"

"Because, I cannot allow you to marry her." Damian snapped. "No matter how persistent you are about marriage, I cannot allow you to taint our family name. I am simply pounding the reason back into that blockhead of yours."

"No, you are mistaken dear brother. You are angry because she chose me over you."

"What?" Damian could not believe what he just heard. "Say that one more time. I dare you."

Dathan smirked, "You cannot accept the truth that you have just witnessed the woman you once loved, met with her lover—me. You are bloody jealous."

"You imbecile!" His fist came again but his brother was fast enough to dodge. He hit nothing but air.

Dathan let him slide and used the chance to land him a blow. Using his elbow, he brought it down his brother's nape.

"Ughh."

He watched his twin collapsed. Not a single drop of guilt came over him.

"Good night, brother."
***