Chapter 68: Rheinhold

"Sisters are different flowers from the same garden."

-Unknown

⚜️

"I...I...wait, did you say sister?"

"Yes." Rosalind swallowed before continuing, "I lost my younger sister when she was but four. If she were here, she'd be around your age."

"But, I am here and I am not her...unfortunately."

Ros grabbed her hands, "You have the same set of eyes. Even the way you smile and effect you have with the people around you, it is so similar to hers."

Em shook her head. "You are mistaken, my lady. At four, I was living with the Davensport's as their servant. I told you that I was an orphan and have no memory of where I was from. Surely, there are others who have the same features like I do."

"Then how do you explain why you were there in the first place? How did you arrive in the West and have forgotten about the East?"

"My parents must've have left me there. But no one can tell me for certain. The dowager found me at their doorstep and took me in. I waited for years, for a sign, of anyone to come for me." Em sniffled and felt tears coming. "But no one has come. Not one."

Ros felt her sadness and decided to hug her. "I am sorry for such sad experience. Please, let me prove that you are indeed Rosalia. And I will make it up to you, for all those lost years. We will be family again."

Em accepted the hug because it felt genuine. She cried for some time until she felt better. Ros handed her a kerchief.

"What do you suggest we do?" Em asked her.

"Let us go to Dubley. There, I will introduce you to the Marquess. He may be old and frail but he knows his own blood when he sees one."

"Do you think he can recall his lost daughter?"

Ros bit her lip. "He may not. But I want to count on it. Besides, it was him who exiled that said daughter."
***

Em left Rosalind's side with the agreement that they will meet again on the morrow. She did not want to give her hope but the sorrow in Ros' eyes were real. It crushed her heart to see that. If it would ease her mind that Em should meet the Marquess then she'd be happy to try and help.

The ball was reaching its end and most of the guests have retired. Em decided it was time for her to go as well.

She looked around and saw no presence of the king or the prince. That may be a good sign. She was quite spent already. It might be best to face them after some good night's sleep.
***

Meanwhile
At Fairclough Manor

Dathan was haunting his brother for answers. It has been two days now since Em disappeared and left no traces. He found the duke in his study.

"A moment please, Damian?"

A wave of hand gave him the signal to close the door.

"What do you want?"

Dathan exhaled and gently, very gently placed his hands on his table. Forcing his brother to look up. "Would you be kind to tell me, where the hell is Em?!"

"She left."

"Of course. I was hoping you'd say you locked her in a cottage somewhere. But now it eases my mind." He said sarcastically.

Damian sighed and discarded the papers he was supposed to be minding. "Take a seat."

"Gladly."

He picked up two glasses and poured brandy. "I do not have your intended, if that helps."