Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings

"I wish I had no heart. It aches so."
-Wisdom Tree

⚜️
Lydia found herself walking back inside the house, her bravado beaten and soiled. Damian had seen to that. There's no need to kid herself that she can change him. Perhaps, it was for the best.

She climbed the stairs and went to seek refuge in her room. Evangeline wasn't there, so she undid her gown on her own. She heard footsteps passing by the hall and couldn't help but over hear a man's voice.

"...but if you dare say lassy, I'd think he's smitten wit ya."

A woman laughed, "Don't be silly, Carter. He is merely being playful."

Who are these people?

Lydia put on her dressing gown and pressed her ear against the door.

"But if I dinna come knockin' down the door, what woulda been doin'?"

"Nothing of course. Come on now, before the Duke sees you. He does not know you."

Their footsteps faded and it wasn't until she heard them descending the stairs that she was able to place that voice. It was the same woman Damian had sought after their dance.

Lydia pulled the door open, wanting to catch the mysterious woman's face. Evangeline bumped into her as she failed to slow down.

"My lady—"

Lydia ignored her and went for the stairs, she was grabbed from behind. "What are you doing Lydia? You are in your dressing gown!"

"I have to—"

"No. Put on a dress or I swear I will drag you by the heel."

"Please, Vanj..."

There was a movement from behind them and they both bolted back to the room. Evangeline closed the door just in time when another set of footsteps sounded down the corridor. They waited until it was gone before they sighed with relief.

"Well," Evangeline crossed her arms, "what do you have to say for yourself?"

"I was chasing someone."

"Whilst dressed in nothing but that?"

Lydia averted her gaze, "I was undressing when I heard them. I did not have time to don my gown again."

Evangeline rolled her eyes, "We were almost caught by someone down the corridor. What would the servants have to say? Or worst, what if the Duke or Duchess saw you parading yourself half dressed?"

"But we were not!"

"Don't be silly Lyd. If I weren't here you would've flown down the stairs, flashing everyone with your skin."

She wanted to retort back but she knew her maid was right. She wasn't thinking well. It must be because she just got her heart broken.

Wait, what?

Why would her heart be broken?

"Lyd? Are you alright? You've gone awfully pale."

Oh dear god. Did she just realized she had fallen for her fiancé?

"Leave me be, Vanj. I want to be alone."

Evangeline knew better and did not push. She closed the door behind her and Lydia sat down. How did this happen? The man had done nothing to gain her affections, he had actually been pushing her back. So why? Damian managed to break heart without her giving it to him. He took it and gave it back in pieces.