Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more

"Virtue has a veil, vice a mask."

-Victor Hugo

⚜️

"That is a lie! Guards, seize her!" Yelled Margeary from the far end corner of the room. Her men came forward and grabbed the woman. "Throw her out and make sure she does not return."

The guards began to drag her away but were met with two sharp swords to their throat. They looked up and saw Alexi and Dathan on the other end.

"Drop your weapons and let her go." Said Alexi.

Both men refused so Dathan poked the other one with the blade, not too brash but enough to scrape the skin. "Drop it!"

They pulled out their own swords and threw them on the floor. Alexi then gestured for Marie to be released and they did so.

"What are you idiots doing?!" Margeary was now emerging from the corner. Her eyes blazed with fury but when she saw and recognized the intruders, she stopped mid-step. "Y-your Majesty Alexi—"

"Stop!" Alexi pointed the sword at her, silencing her next words. "Do not make me order my men to hold you down, countess." Then he looked around and said, "This wedding is off! And we are taking the countess to our custody for all that she has done."

"You will not dare!" Count Mondiego yelled and made his way next to his wife. "You hurt my wife, you will answer to me. I care naught if you were some prince from a foreign land but no one touches her!"

"I admire your bravery and commitment, count. However misplaced it is. She," Alexi meant Margeary, "is not who you think she is."

They saw the countess stiffened.

"What are you talking about? And why on earth would you interrupt my son's wedding?" He waved his fist at the prince. "Have you no respect for other's happiness? Wait until I tell his Highness about this."

Alexi scoffed, "And pray tell, what would tell him should he ask, why your wife held the occupants of Fairclough Manor under hostage?"

"Well...that is..this was all a misunderstanding! The wedding was agreed upon and we simply had to...err..make adjustments to accommodate the event. And they were refusing to participate!"

Alexi pursed his lips and tried not stifle his anger, "I sense that you had a hand in this count. Imprisoning the current duke, duchess and dowager, along with their servants at your mercy makes you just as guilty as your wife. And," he walked towards him, "for forcing Miss Roderick into marrying your son. That is something I cannot simply forgive. She is my friend."

Count Mondiego paled. His eyes nervously looking at Alexi's sword pointed at his chest.

Marie touched Alexi's arm, "He's innocent."

"But he's protecting her." Her whispered back. "His devotion for his wife will be his downfall. But that shall end today. Go and stop the wedding, I'll hold them off."

"I am in your debt, your majesty." Then she turned around and faced Gideon and his bride. She saw his eyes lit up.

"Gwyneth?" He asked, his voice sounded soft and low. "Is it really you?"

She smiled sadly, "Yes."

He blinked again and again. As if seeing her was an illusion. He found himself going down the steps and finally reaching out to her. His fingers brushed past her cheeks, "It is you!" He choked back a sob. "You're alive."