Chapter 65: Under siege

"Union of hearts, not hands, does a marriage make and sympathy of mind keeps love awake."

-Aaron Hill
⚜️

Fairclough Manor had awakened to an unexpected attack: The Hanselworth's.

Margeary had trapped Emelia in a guest room and had ordered her maids to guard the doors. No one was coming in or out without her permission. After locking the door, she pocketed the key and made her way towards her not-so-future daughter-in-law.

"Your gown is waiting." She said to Em. "Go and put it on." Then sat down and poured herself tea.

Em refused to budge on her seat.

"Mrs. Garth!"

"Y-yes, your grace..."

"It seems that our bride is too nervous to stand up on her own. Would you be so kind to help her?"

"At once, your grace." Mrs. Garth went to Em and forcibly pulled her up. When she refused to move, the servant whispered. "Get up before she drags you herself."

"No! Let go of me!"

"What is taking so long?" Margeary asked while she sipped her tea. "She is one skinny girl. Drag her by the hair if you must."

Panic registered on Em's face. Surely they wouldn't go to such extent?

"Please, Mrs. Garth. Don't make me wear that gown."

"You sound as if the dress is poisoned. Quit being so hysterical and put it on."

"I can't! I won't!" She pulled her arms away from the servant, it was so sudden that Mrs. Garth lost balance and fell on her backside.

Margeary stood from the couch and threw the tea cup, breaking the china and spreading it on the floor. It turned all attention to her.

"Emelia..." she said flatly, "quit struggling."

"I shall not!" She snapped. "I will not wed your son. Not now or ever!"

"You will and it will be today. Preferably before lunch." She snapped her fingers and the maids came up behind Em. "Hold her but not too tight to leave a mark. We can't have the people talking about our precious Emelia getting  bruises."

"Yes, your grace." The maids chorused and dragged Em from her seat.

"No! Let go of me." She tried to put all her weight on her feet but the three maids were stronger than her efforts. They were almost at the dressing screen and she could see the wedding gown waiting. She twisted her head and yelled at Margeary, "Why?! Why are you doing this?!"

The countess blinked and said nothing.
***

Meanwhile

Lucille had awakened everyone in the manor in hopes of halting the wedding. Only to find themselves locked in their very home.

"The gates are closed and all our men are held down at the stables." Damian said. "I could not risk sending out anyone for help. We are trapped."

"They have way too many men with them." Lydia added as she looked out of the window. "But they looked like farmers not soldiers."

"They're their prisoners. The Hanselworth's do not simply employ farmers to work their lands. These people are at wits end to have a meal for their families but the taxes are too high. Those men are basically slaves." Lucille said.
"They intend to use them throughly until they die. I bet they were forced to come here today and seize us."

"But mama, why would they go such lengths? The wedding was inevitable. Emelia is ruined beyond words if she does not marry the knight." Lydia asked.