Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must

"The worst feeling is when you don't want to give up on someone but you know you have to."
-Unknown

⚜️
Dathan finally decided to emerge from his bedroom. After a long warm bath, a cleaner, beard shaven and well-combed man came into the dining area.

"I was not expecting you so early, son." Lucille said as she stabbed her bacon. "Do join me for breakfast." She just arrived from Marriane's and rest of the family members were still tucked in bed. Except this one.

"I have plans mother and I very much intend to make them happen." He kissed her cheek and went on the chair across the table, "Samantha? If I could have a plate please?"

Sam nodded and ran into the kitchen. The table was prepared only for the Duchess and no one informed them that another family member was joining. The little girl hoped her mother had something else. She knew Dathan had the biggest appetite in the world.

"Plans?" His mother said, eyebrows rising.

"Yes," he replied while tucking a napkin on his lap, "in fact, I am not prepared but I am willing to give it my best."

"That doesn't sound very good, Dathan. Plans are supposed to be...planned."

"I agree mother, however, circumstances dictate otherwise." He paused when Sam came with his plate and cup. "Thank you Samantha, do tell Ana I'll have whatever's in the kitchen." He told the girl.

"Yes my lord." She said and curtsied before leaving.

"Pray tell what this plan of yours is. Mayhap, I can offer my assistance." The Duchess sat down her tea and stared at her son. It wasn't Dathan's nature to talk this much and she was curious. She could see signs that he had been sleepless, dark circles around his eyes were very obvious.

"Thank you mother, I appreciate the gesture, truly! But I cannot call myself a man should I fail to do it on my own. At least on my first try, that is."

Lucille tried not to smile, her little boy is no longer little. He was on to something and she vowed to figure it out. "Men needed nudging from time to time. Asking for help doesn't make you less, remember that."

"That I shall."
***

The Manor was filled with the ever growing crowd. Dathan had to pave his way to gain access to certain rooms, some have been locked and when he asked the servants to open them, he was told it was reserved to be used on the wedding.

Apparently, there will be guests from the Bride's side and most people will be spending the night at Hinley.

"Bloody wedding, bloody people. Too many guests and too little house to place them all." He muttered under his breath. He marched towards the South wing, hoping he could at least get some respite from all these people.

Whenever he passed by the servants and contractors they all paused to bow. Dathan gave no indication that he cared. His mind was bent on searching for a room to use. Just one untouched room. His head started to ache. He really wanted the tea room from this part of the house but it was also the most favoured place his mother used for her friends.

He kept walking until he came upon the hallway going to the stables. He'll have to pass through there to get to the other side of the house. After taking a few steps he overheard hooves coming from the entrance. Someone was out from a morning ride. His hand twitched, he usually goes out riding himself if he hadn't been drinking or out chasing Em. His body needed the exercise and and he's deprived it for so long. He promised he'll do so again once he can convince her to come with him. Without a moment's glance, Dathan continued walking.