Chapter 67: Habsurg

"The end of a journey means the start of another one."

-Book of Felicity
⚜️

The sounds of men shouting stirred Em from her slumber. From the tiny window on her cabin, she saw the faint light of day appear.

With a stretch, she rose from her bed and put on her robe. Footsteps running back and forth could be heard from the deck and she could tell what it meant: they have arrived.

A soft knock echoed from her door. She cracked it open and Alexi's head popped up.

"Morning Em! We are currently docking. Would you like to see the sunrise?"

"I would love to. Give me a moment, I am not dressed for the occasion."

"Of course. I shall stand guard here." Then he pulled her door close.

She could only shake her head. A prince standing guard for her? The people of Kelmsleigh would be scandalized.

Moments later, they stood side by side on the upper deck. Several passengers also came up to enjoy the morning mist or simply to witness the docking. The sun was slowly rising upwards but gray clouds blocked its rays.

"I hope it does not rain. It would ruin my first day." Em said.

Alexi looked up and smiled, "Fret not, Emelia. Our mornings are usually like this. The whole island gets heavy mist and fog that it would be hours before you could bathe under the sunlight."

That assured her. So she allowed herself to absorb the new surroundings and tried not to think of the life she had left behind.
***

A great entourage came to greet the prince. Golden carriages, footmen, knights on horses and many, many servants awaited them. Em was unsure how she would proceed in disembarking the ship.

"The prince will be taken to the castle right away, Miss." Barkley said. "And he has allowed you to accompany him."

"I can stand next to the prince?"

"Yes. You are his guest after all." He replied. "If it eases your mind, I shall ride on the same carriage throughout the journey."

She gave him a smile, "I appreciate that, Barkley. You are the only familiar face that I know after all."

The man stepped back and his master came into view. Alexi had changed into his riding habit and offered his arm to her.

"Shall we?"

Em took his invitation and together, they walked the steady plank. She braced herself for the attention she would be getting.

The people cheered as their prince came into view. He raised his hand in greeting and they cheered some more. While the soldiers lined up to make a path, Em remained holding onto Alexi's arm. She could tell they were gawking at her but their excitement to see him back was much overwhelming.

It felt like ages until they finally got into his carriage. Alexi guided her to step up first before he did. He kept the windows open and accepted his people's greetings still.

Flowers, ribbons and even jewelry were thrown at his presence. Some made its way inside the carriage and Em was soon holding a bouquet or two.

"Just a little bit more, Emelia. Once we crossed the piazza, the common people will not be allowed there."

She shook head, "I do not mind. This is quite a welcome. They must adore you so much."

"Well, what can I say? I do have an adorable face."