Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms

"An empty room is a story waiting to happen and you are the author."
-Charlotte Moss

⚜️

"The Prince?"

Dathan shook his head, "No. Not our Prince but from a neighboring kingdom."

Marie's brows raised in question, she opened her mouth but shut it back down immediately. It was not her business to pry on her employer.

"I believe we have been away from the fray for too long. You go fetch a hackney and I shall bid my family farewell." He said and tucked the paper inside his pocket. "I shall tell you more, soon."

"Your call boss." She replied and walked away.

"Marie.."

She turned. "Yes?"

He pocketed his hands and sighed, "You did great tonight. Thank you for getting the address for me."

"Sure. But if what you said was true, it may not be the real one, so tonight's mission was a failure."

"No. Well, maybe not entirely." He began to walk next to her, "We'll see if Carter can check the address tomorrow."

She smiled, "That driver of yours would be perfect for the job."

"Unfortunately, I have to agree."
***

Gaming room

"Should we join the others?" Asked Lucille.

Lydia stared at the mantel clock and noted that it was just ten past twelve. The dancing should be at its peak now.

"Perhaps a little dancing would lift you up." Her mother-in-law whispered. "The gaming tables are starting to bore me. What do you say, we find ourselves our own entertainment?"

"I am not certain about the dancing, Mama. People are still wagging their tongues at me. Mayhap, we can grab some sherry?"

Lucille's eyes lit up, "Ohh. Indeed. They have not served the ladies anything stronger than apple juice." She stood up and pulled Lydia from her seat. "Follow me."

They walked silently out the door and as expected, no one batted an eye. The tables were still filled with men eager to win some gold while the women gossiped. Not even Vincent or Damian noticed that their wives have left.

Back into the ballroom, the two ladies giggled at their escape. Their husbands have not seen them leave and it felt mischievous. Lucille led the way towards the second landing where endless corridors and hallways welcomed them.

"My god, this place is enormous." Lydia said. "I could get lost in here."

"Ahh, yes. My parents told me that Allerdale Hall used to be a castle but it burned down and only this part survived. The new Duchess was very rich and had helped repair most parts of the place."

They kept walking with no servants bumping into them. Lucille seemed to be familiar with the turns and not once had she hesitated where to go.

"The family library had bottles of brandy and other delicious liquors. We can stay there until the wee hours of the morning." Lucille said to her. "Or until they send for us."

"Mama, however will they find us here?"

"Oh shush. They will find us, nothing to fret about. Vincent and I had spent so much time here. The current Duke is a childhood friend of ours and our families had been acquaintances for so long." Lucille finally stopped outside a door, her hand holding the latch. "Come of think of it, I was supposed to be engaged to him instead of Vincent."

His Innocent Rose (Hinley Manor Book 1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara