Chapter Six: The Chase

"Sometimes the biggest risks are those we take with our hearts."
-Euriano

⚜️
The welcoming party was packed. Servants of all classes flocked in groups to Hinley Manor. The Davensport's owned acres of land that the people worked for them, and parties such as these, are their ways of giving back to them. Also, everyone gets to dress up whatever they wanted.

Em donned a red cloak around her petite form, a sizeable hood covered most of her face. She let her hair down in a long braid with nothing but a dratted cloth to tie it. She adjusted the straps that held her bow and arrow, for tonight, she was dressed as a hunter. One more look at the mirror told her she was unrecognizable. Save perhaps for the bruise on her cheek. She tried her best to dab it with powder and it was much concealed.

"You look dashing.."

She turned and saw Samantha, "I am a hunter, I can't be dashing. What are you supposed to be?"

Sam glided inside the her room and gave her a twirl, "I'm a ghost."

"A what?"

But she knew she heard her friend right, Sam had rumpled her hair to look like a bedraggled urchin and wore a tattered white dress. Her lips were painted red as if she had smeared her face with blood.

"You dressed to hide your identity, I plan to go out and meet me a nice young man."

Em laughed, "And sort of man would have trysts with a ghost?"

"Oh, you know. Men who liked excitement."

Em let her friend humour her and went out to the party.
*****
Lydia sipped on her drink, it was far too sweet for her taste. She longed for a cold, bitter taste of ale. Or anything stronger than apple juice. Her eyes looked around, she didn't recognize anyone. Save for her hand maiden who stood next to her.

"Are you alright M'lady?"

"Yes, I am Evangeline."

"The Davensport's did well, didn't they? I haven't seen so many service people in one gathering."

Lydia looked at her hand maiden, she had been with her for so long. They were friends and she trusted her more than anyone else. For tonight though, she knew Evangeline itched to mingle with her kind.

"Go," Lydia pushed her, "dance and be merry."

Evangeline looked at her, startled at the sudden command, "Is it alright M'lady?"

"Yes. Enjoy yourself Evangeline, do not fret about me."

She did not need another word to do so, she let a neat looking lad take her to the dance floor. There, she truly looked like she belonged.

Lydia sighed and leaned against the wall, she had never imagined herself a wall flower. In fact, she enjoyed parties and dances. It did not matter where it was so as long as she gets to have her fun. There was music and merriment in Hinley Manor, her future home. There were tables of food and refreshment for all, men have asked her to danced and she politely refused them. Why? She did not know.

It was not because she was a Lady and they were below her station, she danced with service people before and she quite enjoyed it. There were no pretences with them, everything was out in the open. But still, she turned them down. Why again?

Her eyes strayed across the room, searching for anything familiar and she saw what she was looking for. The blonde hair and muscular arms were easy to distinguish, there weren't that many blonde men around here. Plus, he was wearing a fairer clothing than any of the men. He stood with authority and his body language set him apart from the rest. Lydia found herself ogling her fiancé.