Chapter 61: Search and you shall find

"As long as one keeps searching, the answers come."

-Joan Baez
⚜️

At exactly midnight, Em slipped out of the house. Clad in a black cloak with naught but the piece of paper on her pocket and a few coins on her purse.

She knew that most of the servants would be sleeping now and those who stayed up tend to stay in the stables to play cards. Which meant she could not borrow one of the horses. Hence, the need to use her hard earned money to catch a hackney.

Em made it past the gates and was now making her way down the road. Thankfully, the moon was bright and she could see the path just fine. Her shoes made little noise against the gravel while the wind played with her hair. And no one seemed to be out this time of the night. With luck, she might reach the intersection where most hackney hang around.

From a distance, she saw lights. There was a small inn up ahead. She began to walk faster but then she heard horses running from behind. Immediately she ducked behind a tree and prayed that the rider did not see her. The sound of the hooves drew nearer and she held her breath. She cannot be caught right now.

"What on earth are you doing?!" Roared a voice. The horse snorted, indicating that the rider stopped right in front of where she was.

Startled, Em jumped and gave away her presence. She turned around and peeked. She saw his angry look.

"Umm...I'm taking an evening walk?"

"You evaded me the whole day and now you thought was the good time "take an evening walk"?!

"You were drunk when you came home. 'Twas not the best time to exchange banters with you."

"I was sober by the time I had my bath and meal. But where were you? I was told that you went to shop for your dress." He fumed. "But what I am most angry at is why you have decided to leave when everyone else was asleep. All by yourself in an empty road. Are you mad?" Dathan jumped down from his horse and pulled the reigns with him. "Its in the middle of the night, Em. I was right to follow you from the manor, who knew what could happen to you."

She sighed and raised her hands up in the air. "I apologize if I had worried you. But I had some urgent errands to tend to."

His brows crossed, "Come out of that dratted tree and come here, Em. Do not wait for me to drag you from there."

She did and pulled down her hood. The moonlight gave her face a soft glow that made her look paler than usual. Or rather, like a ghost.

"Now explain yourself." He said. "Or you won't be going anywhere."

"Dathan, now is not the time to be explaining. I am in a rush. Now, if you are worried about me walking all alone, then lend me your horse." She made a grab for the reigns but he was fast enough to keep it away.

"You are mad if you think I would allow to ride all by yourself and I was to walk home alone. If it is time you are against with, then it would be better if you ride with me and explain things along the way."

"I guess that is much better."

"Of course. It is the only option that made sense." He then turned to his side, cupped his hands and bent down. "Hop on."

Em pushed herself up the saddle while Dathan lifted her foot. Once settled, he hopped on behind her and with a kick, the horse galloped on the empty streets. They passed by the inn where several hackney drivers merely stared at them for a moment before going back to their game of cards.
***

"Where to?" He asked.

"I...I do not know."

Dathan kept the horses's pace but they have just reached the streets of the town. As expected, it was very quite now. If they kept on running around they would bump into the guards roaming around sooner or later.