Chapter Nine: Morning ride after

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true."
-Julie Lichty

⚜️
Lydia rose from her bed, she did not want to. In fact all she wanted the whole day is sleep. Her maid came into her room with a tray of food.

"My Lady, I brought you tea."

"Leave it Evangeline."

"Are you alright My Lady?"

"No. I am unwell."

Evangeline sat by her bed and touched her forehead, she wasn't feverish. Her maid sighed.

"What is wrong Lydia?"

In times like this she liked that her friend called her by her name. She sat up and stared at her.

"I need to tell you something, Vanj.."

"Go ahead."

Lydia told her about her attempts to get Damian's attention, how they danced and thought he enjoyed it as she did. But when she kissed him, he flipped.

"He told me to behave like a lady."

Evangeline squeezed her hands, "You shouldn't have done that Lyd. You are still his fiancee and you cannot display such affection no matter how smitten you are with each other."

"But he is not smitten with me."

"Of course he is, what man could resist you Lyd?"

Lydia paused because she knew Damian did not desired her. She heard it from his own mouth and she knew his eyes were for another. Just last night she came upon them and to think that the woman he kept seeing was living in the same household. Damian confessed his feeling to her and she loved him back! The only thing that kept her from meeting this woman was because Damian hid her so well.

She felt like the intruder here. Before she met Damian he might have already loved this woman, one she could not put a face into. But she knew her name.

Rose.

He called her Rose.

And he said it with such emotion he never used with her.

Oh dear God. What have she gotten herself into? Not only was she engaged to a man who did not like her but he loved another, where does she fit?

"Lyd? You are quite."

"I'm sorry Vanj. My thoughts bring me so far sometimes." She tried to smile but it did not reach her eyes.

"Well, no use hiding here all day. Why don't we look around? I heard the servants talking about the pond where swans live. It must be a sight!"

Lydia shook her head but considered her friends suggestion, why should she hide here? She did not take Damian away, he is her fiancé. Why should she cower from a faceless woman who loved him? She is Lydia Warrick, daughter of the influential Lord. She is to be the next Duchess of Hinley. This is to be her home.

A brilliant idea came to her mind. She threw the blankets away and stood up, "Get me a gown Vanj." Her maid stared at her sudden change of emotion, "I would like to see my new home."

Evangeline nodded and went to her trunks. Lydia sat back and nibbled at her biscuits and sipped the tea. Now, where does she start looking for this Rose?
*******

Damian donned a riding habit, he planned to clear his muddled brain out for a run. Last night shook him. Never had ever forced a woman yet he almost compromised Rose. It must be the wine, he drank so much, that he recalled. He left immediately because did trust his self around her.

Oscar had already saddled his horse and a footman would follow behind to keep him company. Or to watch over him if he made an idiot of himself.

The early morning breeze felt wonderful against his skin. He forgot how good the country felt. The path was wet from the dew and the earth smelled wonderful. It must've rained sometime last night because the trees were drenched.

He passed by several houses that worked for their family for a long time. He was greeted by anyone who saw him and he politely nodded at them. Smoke rose from their chimneys, indicating they have already risen and ready to face their day ahead.

Soon, they will be his people. The thought excited and scared him at the same time. Will he be a good Duke like his father? What if he couldn't get well with the tenants and they decided to leave?

He was so distracted that he failed to notice a child walking straight towards him, the horse saw the child and panicked. It threw it's head back and forced Damian off the saddle. He heard screaming and the horse's hooves running away.

"My Lord, my lord..." the footman came to his side, "are you hurt?"

"No," he shook his head, his side burned but he did not feel anything broken, "is someone else hurt?"

"No, My Lord. The child is safe."

"Good. Now, go get my horse."

"Yes, My Lord." The footman left him and chased his run away horse.

Damian sat up and looked around, he saw the child's parents hugging their child. He was about four or five, very small and weak.

He cursed himself for being so careless. He stood up and went towards the parents. "I apologize, the horse is not used to me and I wasn't paying attention where I was going."

"My Lord," both parents knelt down, "it is not your fault. We looked away and André was suddenly walking up to you horse. We told him it is not safe but..."

Damian cut off the man's words and knelt down to see the child, "Your name is André?"

The child looked up and saw he had beautiful gray eyes, he smiled to him. "Yah."

"Are you hurt André?"

The boy looked at his parents, his mother smiled at him, "Answer the Duke, son."

André stared at him realizing who he was, "I'm 'kay, m'lord.."

"Good. I would hate it if you were hurt but you will remember not to go near horses again? Understood?"

The boy nodded and went to hug his mother, she shyly said, "He is a shy boy, My Lord."

"I see. If you need anything just talk to me."

"Yes, My Lord." The couple chorused.

His footman came back with his horse following behind, the beast looked calmer now. He'd remember not to startle him again. Damian kicked the horse to a gallop and went home.

Moments later they arrived back at the stables, he let Oscar tether the horse back to its stall. Fresh hay awaited the animals and he saw the footman pour water for them to drink as well. He was about to get inside and go to his room when he saw her.

He pulled off his gloves and walked towards the kitchen. A smile on his face, she had her back to him. He walked silently least she sensed his presence. He stretched his hands and caught Em's waist. She yelped and almost dropped the apple she had been peeling.

"M-my lord?"

"What do you have for breakfast?"

"I, uh, is there something you wanted My Lord?"

"As a matter of fact Rose, there is."

She saw the glint behind his eyes and gasped when she realized he was leaning in close for a kiss.