Chapter 46: Blush

"After the first blush of sin, comes its indifference."
-Henry David Thoreau

⚜️

Em's challenge proved to be a dangerous one. Evangeline realized this as soon as the doors were closed and blinds shut. There was no one else in the room but them.

And the brandy.

And the bucket of ice.

Em was returning with two crystal glasses from the nearby tray. Her slender fingers gently placed them down before she took her seat across the tea table.

"A drinking challenge, Emelia?"

"And more." Em said, her amber eyes measuring her opponent carefully. "We drink and exchange banters."

"What?" Evangeline asked with a laugh. "Isn't that just drinking?"

"No...and yes. But the banters we shall exchange shall be nothing but the truth. You cannot lie nor make up any excuse. Each banter you throw means one glass. The more banters you say the faster you get foxed. And the earlier you get foxed..."

Evangeline waited for her to finish the sentence but she already knew what it meant. "A foxed mind is a clouded mind. You expect me lose and call it even."

"Seems fair to me." Em replied. "If we simply sneer and throw insults each other at every chance we get, this or whatever this is between us will only get worse."

"And the brandy is your secret ingredient?"

Em gestured her agreement with her eyes. "Spirits loosen the tongue. This way, you cannot lie to me nor can I lie to you. And the more honesty this banter shall have, the easier we can settle things."

Evangeline thought for a moment. Sure she preferred to exchange a slap or two with other women who irked her but she also found honest confrontations satisfying. She picked up her glass and locked gazes with Em.

"You said with all honesty?"

Em nodded.

"And you shall not take the insults gravely? Not keep a grudge against me? That, whoever loses will accept that the matter is settled, no matter the outcome?"

"I will accept them and face them." She replied with her chin up. "Because you shall received the same from me."

"Fair enough." And she poured herself a glass. She raised it infront of them and said, "Let us commence."
***

Gaming room

The Davensport's welcomed the newly weds and introduced them around. Those who knew Damian easily fell into a comfortable company while the few ladies invited inside merely smiled and kept to themselves. Lydia knew they were curious about her but were either shy to approach them or they simply do not find her entertaining. But the constant peek and flutter of lashes thrown at her direction suggested that she was not wanted there.

Not that she cared.

She got here because she decided that she belonged with this family. No longer a spinster daughter of a drunkard Earl but a wife and a Duchess. So she ignored the younger ladies and stayed with Lucille and other matrons.

While her husband and father-in-law were locked in a business conversation, Lydia noticed that Dathan had discreetly slipped away and never returned. After he bravely saved them from utter shame, he did not even wait until he was properly appreciated. It was as if he did not wish for the others to know his good deeds. To this, Lydia knew that her brother-in-law was nothing like the black sheep that the gossips painted him to be.