Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful

"Never mistake a woman's silence for her ignorance, her calmness for acceptance and her kindness for her weakness."
-Unknown

⚜️
Em couldn't believe it. She was in the presence of a Prince! She's never met any royalty before and she found herself lost. Her eyes stared at the man before her, dark hair, amber eyes and a perfect set of smile. Alexi was a picture of perfection. And not just any prince at that, he was from the East—Habsburg. It was a smaller Kingdom compared to where she belonged but still!

She curtsied once more, "Your majesty..."

"Rise Miss Roderick. I would appreciate it if you do not treat me so formally."

"But—"

Lady Marianne laughed again, "Oh, do loosen up child. Habsburg is so far from here and my nephew does not really hold anything here. No need for such extremities. He is merely a visiting Royalty."

Em stared at Lady Marriane and back to the Duchess, Lucille was nodding. The ladies obviously cared naught being around Alexi, not because they were older but because they knew him that well.

"I...I do not know what to say, Your Ma-"

"Mayhap a walk in the garden will help?" Alexi interrupted her. His arm extended towards her.

"Yes do that, nephew. I wish to speak with Lucille with some import matter." Lady Marriane was waving them out already.

Em caught Lucille's eyes and got the confirmation that she can go. She sighed and accepted Alexi's arm. They haven't been in the room for fifteen minutes and they were going out already.

Abbot stood stiffly by the door and bowed when Alexi threw him a glare. Em found it disturbing. Abbot wasn't acting like a servant towards the Prince, in fact he was showing his emotions up his sleeve as if he was in the presence of a friend. It was simply not done.

Alexi led her outside and Em found herself basked in the early morning sunlight. The Laure gardens were beautiful. There were pine trees freshy trimmed so they would not obscure the house view. The scent of freshly cut leaves permeated in the air and Em found herself inhaling the earthly scent. She always loved the outdoors. With the sun shining down on her and the quietness of the place was just perfect.

Em jumped a little when Alexi cleared his throat. She forgot he was just behind her. That made her flush with embarassment. How could she act like a real idiot around royalty? She ought to be hanged.

"I apologize, Your Majesty. I have never been to Laure before and the garden was very beautiful, I quiet forgot my manners."

He smiled, "Do not apologize, Em. I may call you Em, right?"

"I...er, yes of course Your Majes-"

"-and do call me Alexi please. I have escaped the bloody castle for some respite and I would very much appreciate if you can cut the 'Your Majesty this', 'Your Majesty that'."

"Wouldn't that be treason?"

This time Alexi laughed wholeheartedly, "I do not accuse people of treason for those things Em. My father taught me to be more understanding if needed. But really, we do liked the formalities dropped at some events, it is simply too tiring to hear them again and again. Being royalty does have it's disadvantages, you see?"

Em sighed with relief, Alexi turned out to be a reasonable man. "Very well, since you insist. I shall drop the formalities...Alexi."

His smile broadened, "Ah, now that is better. Why don't we take a leisure walk in the gardens, Em?"
***