Chapter 69: Bloodline

"There is not enough  magic in a bloodline to forge an instant, irrevocable bond."

-James Earl Jones
⚜️

"I shall see what the king is up to these days." She said. "Once we are certain that he is out of the way, I shall send for you."

Rosalind then left Em and Alexi to tour the grounds.

Em did not hope much but she felt nervous. What would the marquess think of her? She wondered.

"Since we are here why don't we do a little experiment?"

"Like what?"

Alexi gave it a thought as they passed through the hallway. "Let's see if anything could trigger your memory. I was told that Rosalia grew up here."

Her brows came together. "You sound as if I really am Ros' sister."

He shrugged, "Worth a try, don't you think?"

Em gave in. "Well, at least I shan't die of boredom here. But...I will not promise anything good would come out of this."

He offered his arm and they went outside. Immediately, her face was met with salty air. Up ahead she could hear the waves crash against the rocks. A little bit further, she could see the edge where ruins of a stone wall lay neatly.

Em caught her hair but a few strands still escaped the pins. Her eyes looked down below and saw the angry waves rock back and forth.

"Highdoor castle sits on this cliff." Alexi explained. "This was once one of our defense towers. Up there," he pointed to a nearby clearing, "is where the runner would circle the grounds and light the pit. Once the fire is noticed, the castle sends an alarm to the nearby towers."

And it made a perfect location for such missions. It was high up and the rocks below were sharp and rigid, making it impossible to dock and launch an attack. She could picture out the footmen preparing for battle and cannons would echo throughout the island.

"Ring any bells?"

She shook her head. "But I like it here. The wind is strong and salty. Nothing like where I grew up."

"Sure is. The Rheinhold's own two more castles around the coast but this one is the largest. It's probably why the marquess chose to make it his home. Despite the absence of weaponry, the place is speaks of battles and other stories."

"Is that why they are very influential?"

Alexi offered they move back indoors before answering. Once they were far from the windy trails he said, "The Rheinhold's are not only known for their battles and riches. They were one of the first families to have settled here and had contributed so much in molding this kingdom."

"Then shouldn't they have a ducal title?"

"The previous kings have offered it to them but they seemed to be only interested in protecting the kingdom and conquering enemies. But as the years went on, some of their sons become knights and their daughters married gentry and other high positioned men. And now they hold the marquess as one of its known titles."

"What an impressive family."

"Indeed. And you, may just be part of it."

Em gave him a smile, "I may also not be part of it. Remember, we cannot prove my lineage still. Also, knowing their history makes me think very little of myself. They sound so accomplished and amazing. While I...well, I am me."

Alexi stopped and pointed to the library. "Maybe a little bit more of background can help."

"Whatever you say, your majesty." And she went in not expecting anything.