Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again

"Passion and shame torment him and rage is mingled with his grief."

-Virgil
⚜️

Once a year, on one special day or night, the royal family would hold a ball.

Unlike any other balls, anyone who knew someone from the nobility and notable gentries could come. But not everyone could come to meet and greet the royals.

This year's royal ball attracted many gossipmongers, news paper writers and of course, the loveliest of the ladies all over the kingdom. Both from the rich to the least heard of family's were invited. Even the ladies who were heard caught in the dark areas of the gardens were sent a gold stamped letter.

Those who made unexpected come back from scandal could also be seen on one corner. A gentleman who said to have chased a hundred skirts was being ogled from across the room. And so many other people flooded the palace doors.

One matron believes that the royals loved a good display of its guests. For what is a successful ball without a chance of yet another scandal? This odd mixture of invitees was a proof of that.

While the rest of the ladies flirted with suitable gentlemen on the ballroom, one certain area of the palace was gathering some curious on lookers. Servants were seen whispering with each other and even the guests began to do so. One only needed to follow the path of scurrying women to find its source.

The small crowd at the balcony had began to draw attention. And it was not a good one.

Em thought that by giving Gideon her answer was the last of it. She did not even had the chance to confront him and clear things out. They both had to address each well-wisher and hoped they would all go away. But as soon as the crowd slowly dissipated, another group of strangers came to replace them. She was bombarded with felicitations and people were constantly shaking her hands. It was a never ending cycle.

"Sir Gideon, felicitations to you and this lovely lady!" Said a rather bulky man in an ill-fitting ensemble. Not because he wore old fashioned clothes but because they seemed a tad bit smaller for his enormous frame. His buttons threatened to burst at the tightness of his muscles. He was smiling at both Em and Gideon. "I was surprised you made such a huge leap tonight, Hanselworth. Truth be told, I did not expect any of this." His eyes turned to Em. "But now that I have seen you, my lady, I can now understand why everyone was talking about you as if you were some...fallen star."

Em tried to smile at the stranger, "I hope they told you good things about me, sir."

"Good things indeed, yes! Even my sisters gossiped about you." He let out an airy laughter. "They talked about you day in and out. I once heard them talk in their sleep! Sometimes I asked myself how could someone be so interesting that it turned our house upside down. But looking at you now, well, I finally got my answers."

"Raven, please, you are jesting." Gideon said and gently pulled Em to his side. "Miss Roderick may be popular but it definitely is in a good way."

"I never said she was not. A lady of such beauty could never be a subject of an ugly gossip."

"I fear your compliments are far too generous, sir." Em said. "How could I ever thank a stranger?"

The man's eyes went wide and bowed, "Forgive me, Miss Roderick. We have not been introduced properly." He stole a glance from Gideon who immediately understood what to was needed to be done.

"Emelia, if I may introduce Sir Raven Gallegher. A knight who serves the royal family. Sir Raven, meet Miss Roderick."

"Pleasure is mine, Miss Roderick." He took Em's hand and kissed the back of her palm. "And best wishes to you and your future husband."