Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk

"When brothers agree, no fortress is strong as their common life."
-Antisthenes

⚜️
Damian was cursing all the way up to his room. Not only he was drenched in dirty water, his hair and clothes were covered with dust. You'd think the closet for cleaning materials were clean, instead it seemed that it was the least attended room in the house.

His valet, Peterson had filled the tub with water. When the young man saw his state of distress, he immediately rang for bath. He took off his clothes and dismissed the man. He leaned back and massaged his neck.

Whatever he planned for Em went in a complete disarray. He was supposed to just speak with her not seduce her. But he was clearly thinking with his other head. He scared the woman enough that she left the room and did not even glance back.

"Bloody hell." He reached for the rag and began scrubbing himself.

Once satisfied with the bath, Damian dried himself with the towel. He was on his small clothes when Peterson announced his brother's presence, "Send him in."

The door opened and he heard Dathan send his valet for a bottle of wine and glasses. Great. Knowing his twin and booze, they would surely end up drunk. And it was just mid day!

He emerged from the dressing screen and saw Dathan in a nearby chair. He looked up and they both stared. Two blue eyes, one was light, almost grey and the other was darker with a hint of sea green. Their blonde hair both tamed and smooth. It still fascinated Damian how surreal it was to see his brother and feel like he was staring at a mirror.

"Dathan.."

"Damian.."

The elder brother sat on his bed and regarded Dathan, "You look good brother."

Dathan ruffled his hair and a smile crept on his mouth, he hasn't shaved yet, there was a fresh stubble on his jaw. "I've never been better, Damian. It's nice seeing you after all these years."

"Five years, was it?"

"You bet."

Peterson arrived and deposited the wine and glasses. Dathan poured them both a drink, if their mother finds out she'll surely have their heads.

"For you brother," Dathan raised his glass, "I believe congratulations are in order for the upcoming wedding."

He raised his glass as well and drank the wine, it tasted good. "Are you using this as an excuse to drink this early?"

"Oh, don't tell mother. I promised her tea this afternoon."

"Then don't chug the whole bottle you fool!"

They laughed. Damian shook his head, his brother hadn't changed after all. He admitted that he missed their childhood where all they did was escape their governesses. Dathan had been the trouble maker and he was the boring, righteous, behaved son.

His twin obviously matured physically, he'd wager he couldn't outwrestle him. Dathan looked like a man who did manual labor and enjoyed it. Those arms were thick with muscle for a reason. A few scars were actually visible but Dathan rolled down his sleeves hoping his brother would stop ogling him.

"Is there something else you wish to tell me, Dathan?"

"Can't I visit my brother and just talk?"

He scoffed, "You're not the talking type, you always act before you speak your mind."

Dathan poured another drink, "Very perceptive. Alright, I admit. I came here for something else." He took one long swig of the wine, "I came to ask for advise."