Chapter Twenty: Abducted

"Absence extinguishes  the minor passions and increases the great ones, as the wind blows out a candle and fans a fire."
-Francois de la Rochefoucauld

⚜️
Dathan laid on his side and curled his face on Em's palm. True to his word, he only let her hold him. His eyes closed and moments later she heard his breathing in slow intakes. He was asleep.

Em did not take her hands off, yet. She stared at the man who almost made love to her. His body mirrored his brother's, hard muscled and beautiful. Yet with him she felt secured despite the amount of power he displayed. She trusted Dathan would never hurt her.

Why did it feel different with him? He had kissed her passionately as if he had meant to do it for the longest time. It puzzled her. Dathan never showed interest in her before. What has changed?

Another thing she found odd was how she could forget herself when his arms were around her. Her brain refused to work while her body did all the thinking. It seemed like she was safe and home with him. She was prepared to surrender everything to him. And she almost did. She didn't like that he made her forget, she had always been in control.

This is bad. If she remained this close to Dathan it would just complicate things. He may be the second son but he was still above her station. She'll never have a future with him.

Slipping off the bed, she planted a soft kiss on his cheek. He moaned but remained asleep. Em threw logs into the fire and left his room. The hallway was empty save for the flickering lights. She went down and prayed Sam had saved her some food.
******

The next day was busier. The candied fruits arrived and no matter how Em wanted to help around the kitchen, Ana kept shoving her away. She was the dowager's companion now. No longer a scullery maid.

So she found herself helping Lucille upstairs in the sun room. The Duchess was adding more pearls on the bride-to-be's wedding gown.

"Hold it up Rose, I need to cut a little bit on the skirt."

"Yes, Your Grace."

Em ran her hands on the rich fabric. She'd never worn something so fancy and by simply holding it was enough for her. She could picture lady Lydia on it, her red hair will be perfect against the white satin. Her skin was like alabaster, she'd surely glow.

The veil was another thing. It was about four feet in length and had been embroidered with endless pearls. Em wanted to try in on, just to see how heavy it was. Mayhap, if The Duchess is busy and she can steal some time later.

"I think we are quiet done here, dear. Will you find our pretty bride so she can fit into this?"

"At once Your Grace."

She let go of the skirt and watched it fall gracefully against the floor. She'll never wear anything like it. That, she was certain.

Em went downstairs and looked for Lydia. Her maid, Evangeline was helping the decorators with the carpets but her mistress wasn't anywhere the area. She went to the drawing room, mayhap the lady was having tea or simply reading a book.

She passed by the empty hallway when a hand suddenly grabbed her beneath the stairs. Em almost screamed if the hand covering her mouth wasn't so tight. What the devil is going on?

She felt her captor drag her away. A door opened and she was shoved inside the cleaning room. She knew it from the rags and other cleaning tools arranged neatly against the wall. The door was slammed shut and she was in utter darkness.

Em felt her captor relaxed his hold against her body and she squirmed away. Once free from his hands she began hitting the man. She knew because the body was hard muscled and very warm. Women's body aren't that hard and obviously does not make her react like she was in heat. She only had one idea who would do this.

"You idiot! Why did you drag me here?"

The man chuckled, "Easy Em."

She was pushed against the door while her hands were trapped on her sides. The man leaned close that she could feel his breath against her face. He wouldn't dare kiss her right now. She was far beyond upset.

"Stop it Dathan! It's not funny."

She felt him stiffen. His breath moved slightly away and she could tell he was staring at her. They both couldn't see watch other but she could feel his eyes on her.

"I'm not Dathan."

"W-what?"

Then it dawned on her. It was the other brother. Heavens! What was Damian Davensport doing here in a dark closet with her? Her gasp sounded loudly.

"D-damian?"

He scoffed, "Of course it's me Em."

"I...I..."

He cocked his head to one side still not touching her, "Pray tell. Why would you think I was my brother?"

She gulped, "Well, he used to play pranks on me. Remember?"

"Is that so?" He didn't sound convinced.

Her nose flared. She did not owe him any explanation. He was to be wed! And she was supposed to find his bride to try on the wedding gown. Yet here he was, trapping a lone scullery maid because she thought he was his brother.

"What do you want my lord?"

His hand found her cheeks. She flinched but did not slap his hand away. This might be the last time she'll experience this with him. His thumb caressed her, making small circles on her skin. Em closed her eyes. There was no use keeping them open.

"I want you Rose." He whispered to her.

"Please, stop calling me...that." He suddenly drew close to her. She could feel his muscular chest and powerful thighs.

"But you are my little Rosie. Or have you forgotten?"

"Damian, please... stop."

His tongue traced her earlobe, making Em gasp. He liked when she did that and all other mewling sounds her mouth did when he was this close. Seduction had been his forte and no woman had ever pushed him away. She won't be the first. No, he can't let her do that.

Damian began kissing her cheek down to her jaw. He could feel her pulse. She was nervous and excited. He ran his hand down her back, teasing the buttons on her gown. When she let out another gasp he captured her mouth with his. Lord, he never tasted anyone so sweet. His Rose. Beautiful as the morning sun and delicate as the soft petals. He'd carve away any thorns that may come their way so he can have her. He must. No one else must have her. She belonged to him.

Em's mind was filled with mixed emotions. She had let Damian kiss her again. She knew it was wrong, the last time they spoke he made it clear he wanted her to be his mistress. It was evident he wanted her badly, his breeches had an enormous bulge as it brushed her hip. But she declined the offer, no matter how tempting it was. For her, whatever they had, it ended already. But her feelings betrayed her, yet again.

"My sweet, sweet Rose. Surrender to me love."

Em shook her head. Tears running down her face, "No."

Damian cupped her face and brush away the tears, "Don't you love me?"

"You know the answer Damian. Please, don't make me say it. Let me go."

"But Rose, I cannot live without you. At least give me this chance to be with you."

Before he could kiss her again, Em pushed his chest with all her might. Damian stumbled back and fell into the buckets and rags. When he turned his gaze, the door was open and Em was gone.