Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling

"It takes a strong man to handle a broken woman."
-Unknown

⚜️
After the talk with his brother, Dathan went downstairs. He ignored the servants as they bowed at his presence, he wasn't the Lord here but he knew they meant to respect him, too.

He reached the kitchen and saw Ana, she was making pies. Dathan cleared his throat making her jump.

"Heavens! You gave me a fright," then her eyes widened with surprise, "Dathan! You little minx!"

He smiled, Ana was one of the few who could tell the twins apart. He was thankful for that. "How is my favourite cook?"

"I am well, my lord. You haven't changed at all!" She pulled a chair so he can watch her bake, when he was a kid, he used to sneak out of their rooms just to watch Ana bake.

"Are you here to escape your mother?"

"Why would you say that Ana? Can't I visit you?"

The woman flushed, he did have a way with ladies. "Of course you could, my lord. But you aren't a child anymore. The kitchen is no place for you."

He shrugged and picked an apple by the table and took a bite, "I live here. I'll go where I bloody want to go."

Ana laughed. She knew better than mention his cussing. For all he knew, the servants lived to hear all sorts of nasty epithets.

"Momma, I have all the plums you need. Can I—" Sam stopped when she saw Dathan and hurriedly dropped into a curtsey, "I beg your pardon my lord."

"It's fine Sam, I haven't seen you in years." He gave her a sweet smile that made the ladies swoon, "My, you've grown into a pretty little thing!"

Her cheeks burned red, "T-thank you my lord. You are most kind."

Ana roared into another loud laughter, "Oh, dearie. You have no idea who this is, do you?"

"What are you talking about, Momma?" Her face was clearly puzzled.

"This is Lord Dathan."

"Dathan.." her eyes regarded him closely, she then realized her mistake, "Oh. Why you," she walked up to him, " I should've known it was a jest!" She threw him her apron and Dathan caught it effortlessly.

"Ease up Samantha, young ladies ought not to raise their voice." But he was chuckling at her reaction.

She had been a close friend as well, Sam had been a victim of his many pranks and she'd often end up crying. But not seeing him for years confused her with his brother. Oh, it was refreshing.

"I am not a lady, my lord. I am merely a scullery maid."

"Samantha, you do forget this is Lord Dathan. He speaks his mind before he even thinks, you ought to have learned child." Her mother said.

"And the first thing he does is make a jest of me? What a fool.." she whispered under her breath.

"What was that Sam?" Dathan asked.

"Nothing my lord. If you'd be so kind to give me back my apron, please."

"Of course. Anything for you Sam."

She left and Ana shook her head. "We did miss your brilliant mind, my lord."

"So did I, Ana. So did I."

He spent another five minutes in the kitchen and when she never showed up, Dathan excused himself. He can try to look elsewhere. Now, where could Em be?

******

Lucille came back shortly and had poured phrases to Lydia. The bride-to-be couldn't stop thanking the dowager for the dress.