Chapter 44: Noble guests

"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days."

-Benjamin Franklin
⚜️

The Butterfly ball was known all over Westershire not only for its grand parties but also because it was hosted by the Duke and Duchess of Ackernetch, the season cannot start if they have not opened their doors just yet. Not to mention that they have the largest butterfly garden in the kingdom. And so, being invited into one was a privilege.

Allerdale Hall was alive with music and laughter. Guests have gathered everywhere, the ballroom, the refreshments table, gaming rooms and even on the dark areas of the garden.

Dathan mentally noted how each season was the same as the previous one, perhaps, a bit different in some ways but never for good. He noticed there were more unmarried ladies in attendance since he and his brother graced their presence such events. And that meant trouble for the eligible bachelors like him. His eyes were constantly moving from one corner to another, looking for a familiar face.

"You are looking anxious, Dathan. Is something the matter?"

He looked down at Em and flashed a smile, "Too many people, I think."

She laughed, "You and I are alike. I do not detest the dancing and talking but I would much prefer a quite escape."

"That we are, Em. But I feel it way too soon to be disappearing from my mother's judging eyes. She may be thinking of ways to torment because I am a bad influence on you."

Em bit back her smile because she caught Lucille's eyes, the Duchess did not look quite happy that she was dancing with her son. Mayhap she ought to have asked her permission first?

"That may not be the case, Dathan. But I agree, it is too early to leave the fray."

"Do you think we could talk somewhere else, Em? I can show you the butterflies out back."

Her heart raced but she tried not to show panic on her face. "Are you trying to lure me into a trap? Are you not supposed to be wary of causing a scandal?"

The dance was ending so Dathan leaned closer to her ear and whispered, "There won't be a scandal if you aren't caught. And yes, I may be trying to seduce you into my arms least one of these gentlemen steals you away."

Em paused, she pulled her hands away from him, her eyes told him that the dance has ended. She raised her chin, "I thought you wish to court me don't you think seduction would be cheating?"

Stupid Dathan. He told himself.
"I...I mean to do that, court you, I mean."

"Then do not tempt me into a dark corner. Because I will not be a willing victim." Not again, she whispered. She knew the attraction between them was too strong and she feared things would go farther this time. So she turned to leave but he caught up her and matched her pace. "You do not need to escort me back."

He lowered his voice while the people around them threw curious glances, "I must. My mother shall have my head if I leave you alone."

"You are being ridiculous."

"Mayhap. But I do not wish for anyone to pounce at you. That dress is screaming trouble."

Em's cheeks flushed, "This is a pretty dress, though it was cut quite lower than usual but it is nothing compared to the others."

"It is lovely, yes. So lovely that you have no idea what I wish to do with you right now."

She had nothing to retort back. So she allowed him to escort her towards Lucille.
***