Chapter 39: Royal ride

"A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise."

-Niccolo Machiavelli
⚜️

Spendell's awoke to a bright sunny day. Birds chirped against the windows, promising a wonderful weather ahead.

Em rose from her bed and stretched. She had slept enough and now it was time to get up and assist her mistress with her morning routine. She was just buttoning up her dress when she heard a slight tump outside her door. Her ears perked up but the sound never came up again. Curious, she left one button open and pulled the door open.

She saw her spare blanket and borrowed pillows neatly piled on the couch. The fire had died down but a few embers glowed still. Alexi was gone. As he promised he would go during the wee hours of the day.

She wondered why she felt disappointed at his absence. Was it because she carefully selected a pretty dress to wear today? Surely she had not expected the man to stay when the trouble was obviously over. But she ought to thank him for staying the night, no matter how improper it was.

The clock chimed and she remembered her duties. Em finished her hair in a neat plait and buttoned up her dress before emerging from her room.
***

"We shall continue on our way after we break our fast, Rose. Do be a dear and join us, hmm?"

"I'd be honored to, Lucille." Em replied as she put away her mistress's night gown.

"Now, I ought to tell you that we've dealt with Mr. Stanley."

"And I am grateful, Lucille. Truly, I am. And I apologize for having you trouble you so."

Lucille shook her head and hugged Em. "You have not troubled me, child. Even if you were not my companion I'd still do everything in my grasp to help you. And it does grant you wonders being married to a Duke, won't you say so?"

Em smiled, "You told the Duke?"

"He is still the Duke of Hinley until everything is finalized and he is the authority around here. You do know he can be quite intimidating when he's given the chance." Lucille giggled. "That man will never lay a finger on you, Rose. I promise."
***

Breakfast was quite and Em was given a short respite when the servants had started loading up their trunks into their carriages. She sat by the lobby and leafed through the newspaper left for the guests to look at. She was at that situation when a pair of slippers appeared before her. When she looked up she saw Lady Cresilda smirking down at her.

"Leaving so soon, little servant?" The lady asked her.

Em averted her eyes and pretended not no see her. The lobby was empty save for the serious looking receptionist who looked bored at the desk. But Cresilda was not having it. The woman sat down and pulled out a newspaper only to fan it around Em's face.

"These are a day late. Where is the gossip section when a lady needed it?"

Em remained mute. She had no energy to exchange words with her. Her fingers flipped through the pages but none of the words made sense to her. She just wanted the woman away from anywhere near her.

"Anything interesting in that paper?" Cresilda asked, her lips twisted on that nasty smile. "I am surprised why you even try to read. What do you get in all these?"

Em took a deep breath and put the paper down. "I simply would like to know what is happening, my lady."

"Bahh.. you are reading the politics section. Are you not only dumb but boring as well?"

"What do you suggest I do, my lady?" Em asked, noting that Cresilda was not being her usual self.

Cresilda rolled her eyes. Something a proper lady out not to do. Clearly something was not right. "I am supposed to be on my way to Westershire but I could not find my friend Aurelia. I am to ride with her. When I asked for her valet I was told she had packed late last night and went home, while the rain was pouring heavily! Can you believe she left me here? With no carriage to either go home or towards the city."