Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters

"Listen to the silence, it has so much to say."
-Maajid

⚜️
"How are you today Damian?" Lydia asked.

It was just pure coincidence that she found him where she exactly wanted him to be. Out in the open and away from the servants. She can finally have a private talk with him.

"I am fine, Lydia."

She almost gasped when he called her by her name. She hoped it was a good, someone must've woken up on the right side of the bed.

"That is good to hear. Would you care to show me around?"

His face was neutral and showed no other emotion. "It'll be my pleasure." He offered her his arm and they walked towards the garden.

Lydia's heart leaped. He was being nice to her. She wondered what happened to his mistress. Did she leave? Or something happened that night that changed Damian's treatment to her? Whatever it was, she was thankful he wasn't ignoring her anymore.

"You have a lovely home Damian."

"I'm glad you like it my lady. Though you are free to make changes whenever you would like. Hinley Manor is your home now."

"You'd allow me to make changes? Truly?"

He nodded, face still bare of emotions. But Lydia was thrilled. She had always wanted to redecorate but her father did not allow her to move a single rug in their home. Now that she was to be a Duchess things are finally changing. She tiptoed and planted a soft kiss on Damian's cheek.

He stopped walking and turned to her. His eyes were no longer blank but what she saw alarmed her.

"W-what's wrong Damian?"

"Why did you do that?"

"I..for my gratitude. You are giving me permission to make changes and I am happy."

"If this is how you show your gratitude Lady Warrick perhaps I should warn you that I find it annoying. You are allowed to make changes here as part of your duty, nothing more. Being a Duchess is not a game and I am just telling you what to expect."

"I...I.."

Damian pulled his arm away from her and began to walk away. What is wrong with him?! One second he was being nice and the next he was just—

Lydia couldn't even finish her thought. She was upset. Why is Damian so sensitive? It was peck on the cheek for heaven's sake!

"I beg you pardon my lord. I was not aware you do not like my gratitude."

Damian paused but did not turned back, "I can accept your gratitude just fine Lady Warrick. But do not act improperly. I may be your fiancé but if you always behave like this, how can I trust you with other people around?"

"What are saying? That I am some light skirt?" She fumed, "I cannot believe how narrow minded you are my lord. I expected much more from you."

At that, he finally turned, "Perhaps I am misunderstanding this, Lydia. I'll make myself clear," his blue eyes stared at her, "I do not want your affections of any sort. Do no try to win me over for I have my heart set to another. I will fulfil my duties to you as your husband but that is the best I can offer you. Should you seek anything other than that, you are free to go."

"You...you will call off the wedding?"

He sighed, "We both know there is no love between us. I do not want to force you to spend the rest of your life regretting this."

His honesty was just too much for her, "Are you regretting this?" She asked.

"My emotions are none of your concern, Lydia. I can handle myself just fine."