Chapter 49: The first suitor

"A party: One arrives long after it' started and one's going to leave long before it's over."

-Robert Morley
⚜️

There was a loud knocking on the door and Em heard it just fine. In fact, it had been making the same noise for awhile now. Yet she remained seated on the floor. The rain had finally stopped and she could hear the noises from the kitchen. Everyone was preparing for a light meal before the family would leave to attend one of the first balls now that the season has began.

How could she possibly join the family downstairs after what happened this morning? Surely Lydia would have her packing now or worse, kicked out without anything on her back. But why was she still here? It was past five and no one has summoned her.

The knocking came again. As patient yet loud enough as it had been.

Mayhap Lydia wished to wait for her to show her face and humiliate her first? Is that why no one bothered her until now? Em's head began to throb. It was probably best to start packing a few of her belongings. This way she would have something to start with if it came to that.

The knocking had stopped and the door swung open.

"Child, were you here all this time?"

"Carol, I...I have not heard you come in." She rose from the floor and acted as if she had was not losing her mind. "I must've fallen off the bed while napping."

The elderly woman smiled, "'Tis all good, it was a fine weather to sleep in anyways. Now, shall we get you dressed?"

"Well, must I be down now?"

"Whatever do you mean? Of course, Lucille has asked for you to join them."

"The dowager did?"

"Yes child. It is best you enjoy a little bit of food before you venture out in the world." Carol replied patiently. She knew how the season could be terrifying for the young ladies. "It is your first season after all."

Em tried to smile but her lips simply quivered. "I am not famished. I can come down once the dowager is in her carriage."

"Now what on God's green earth do you mean? She won't be leaving until a few more hours. You cannot be not hungry at this hour." She approached Em and pulled her down a chair. "I can comb your hair and you can come down."

"B-but Carol, I really am fine. I'll stay here until it is time to leave. I promise I shall be dressed by then."

Carol sensed she was more than nervous that she ought to be. She sighed, "Alright, I shall let the lady know. You better not be fainting on your first dance all because you missed to feed yourself."

"I promise."

"Alright then, I shall lay down your dress. And you can call for the bath, I shall help you soon."
***

When it was time to depart, Em had calmed down a bit. She stood in front of the mirror watching herself getting the final touches from Carol.

"Ahh, this one is lovely. I believe the late mistress only wore it once. You can hardly see any creases."

Em gave her a sweet smile, "Thank you again, Carol. I look like a proper lady because of you."