Chapter 50: Princely intervention

"Whether your time calls you to live or die, do both like a prince."
-Philip Sidney

⚜️

After her confrontation with Mrs. Garth, Em carefully went downstairs and joined the guests once more. She knew she ought to find her mistress but the fear of bumping into Lydia hovered above her head. What if the lady would throw a fit when she sees her face? The events from this morning was far too fresh. Who knows what the new Duchess would do at a ball such as this one?

So, Em decided to stand against the farthest wall where she could tiptoe and make out Lucille's face from afar. Should the dowager would need her, she would fly to her aide.

For a moment it felt as if she was safe on that corner. No one threw her a glance nor cared to approach and start up a conversation. Em allowed herself to feel relieved—no matter how temporary it may be.

A group of gentlemen was moving around. She did not recognized anyone on that certain flock but she chose to look away anyways. It would be bad should she attract their attention seeing she was without chaperone. Once the men passed by, she started looking around. She saw the dancers jumping to the tune, the men and women exchanging meaningful glances while the wallflowers huddled amongst themselves.

It wasn't so bad attending the season this way—being an observer in one corner. But she wouldn't deny that it would have been better had she and Lydia had not crossed paths.  She let out a sigh and failed to realize a presence come near.

"Well if it isn't little Miss Roderick.."

She stiffened. The voice, it sounded familiar. She slowly turned her head and felt her skin crawl at the sight of him. The hair on the back of her neck began to rise as she tried to summon her voice.

"Mister Stanley? Whyever are you here?"

His face contorted with disbelief but only for a moment. "You insult me with your question, Miss Roderick. Why am I here you ask? I was invited of course." Then he gave her that nasty smile of his.

"Why would anyone invite such a scoundrel like you?"

He tugged at her elbow and drew her close, their faces almost touching. "Watch what you say, you little smink! You wouldn't want anyone to hear that, would you? Because you'd not only be shaming me but also our host. Which, in case you do not know, is the bloody Count Mondiego. A good patron of my hotel."

She tried to pull at her elbow back but his grip was tight. "I am certain his lordship knows nothing of your ugly attributes." She hissed back. "And do not forget Mister Stanley, that hotel is not yours. You are but the manager."

His face darkened and his grip became tighter. "It would seem you grown some fangs while you were away, Miss Roderick. Why don't we test out just how sharp they are, huh?" He began to pull her away from the crowd and into an empty hallway. "Don't you dare scream." He said under his breath and pointed a penknife against her waist.

Em gasped and one of the guests turned to her. The lady's eyes looked at her questioningly but she feared what he would do. For all she knew he could puncture her sides any moment and she did not know how she could prevent that from happening . Stanley poked her none too gently and she was forced to smile at the lady to avoid suspicion. Once the lady turned away, Stanley dragged her with him.
***