Chapter Eight: A motherly offer

"Stop worrying what's gone by. Start celebrating what lies ahead."
-Unknown

⚜️
The following day was like the usual, Ana made breakfast for the household, Oscar tended to the see the other servants were doing their duties and for Em, it was another laundry day.

Lady Julianna had snuck a jar of strawberry jam on her bed, despite her governess' warning it was bad for her teeth. She ended up soiling the sheets, again.

Her blisters from yesterday had faded but after a few minutes of scrubbing, they began to feel uncomfortable again. She was at that dilemma when someone called her.

"Rose?"

She turned and found Duchess Lucille just outside the kitchen door, her face was bright and smiling. Em quickly rolled her sleeves down and stood up.

"Your grace.."

"Come with me.." she said, no need to ask why, she's still the Duchess until Damian married his fiancé.

The memory of last night tryst's flowed back to Emelia, she almost gave him her innocence. It was wrong, that she knew. She heard Lady Julianna's governesses warned her the same thing, about men and their lust once they see skin, they turn into animals. But Damian had not been an animal last night, in fact he had been very gentle. It felt so good despite knowing it was bad. She tossed and turned on her bed until sleep came at dawn.

"You are quite child.."

Em broke off her musings and stared at the Duchess, they arrived at the sun room. How long has she been away with her thoughts?

"Just had a long night Your Grace." She tried to smile. If only she knew what transpired between her and Damian.

"I see. You enjoyed the party then?"

Lucille sat at her favourite chair and Em quickly lifted the drapes. She knew how the Duchess loved the morning sunlight.

"I did, it was as pretty as always."

"But I have not seen you. What have you been wearing last night?"

Em smiled at her, ever since the Duchess allowed her to partake in her parties she had always dressed into something that women did not exactly chose to wear. And Lucille always found her out.

"You must've been disguising very well, I couldn't tell if you there at all!"

"I was there Your Grace.. I dressed as a huntress."

Lucille's eyes widened, "Oh. That's why. I think I saw two or three people dressed as a hunter or huntress." She laughed, "I was quiet worried that you wouldn't show up, being that Damian is here and all."

Em flushed. The Duchess knew her too well, she had been hiding her feelings for so long. But Lucille is very sharp.

"He has been teasing you again, hasn't he?"

"Er, something like that Your Grace." Em tried not to appear so relieved.

"Oh, that boy. Still a baiter." She turned to Em, "come sit with me child. I'd like to talk to you about something."

Em carefully laid her skirts on the cushion next to Lucille. The woman was like a mother to her and she could have been if the Duke allowed it. But Lucille had been there for her and she was thankful every day.

"As you may know, Damian is engaged.." she began, Em bit her lower lip but nodded, "and when his fiancee takes my station I will be away from this Manor."

That did not seem right, this has been Lady Lucille's home for a long time. Why did she have to go?

"I will be living in Westershire, we have a manse in the city and we haven't been there for a long time. I plan to take Julianna with me but she needs to stay with the man of the house, I know Damian will look after her. So I was planning of taking you instead."

"I beg your pardon?"

Lucille smiled lovingly at her, "I want to take you with me Rose, as a companion. You are a young woman, you ought to see the world."

The Duchess is really considering her? A servant?

"It is a lovely offer, but I am certain someone is will be appropriate Your Grace.. I am just a servant."

"Hush now, I do not want someone appropriate, I want you." She touched Emelia's hands, "I've known you since you were a child, I wanted you to be mine. Ever since I found you dying at my front steps, I wanted to care for you and watch over you. At least give me this chance to be a mother to you Rose."

How could she decline such request? No one has been so good to her, Ana was like a mother because she tended for everything Em needed. But it was Lucille who saw her family. And she gets to live in the city! She's never been there!

"May I know what exactly will a companion be, Your Grace.?"

"Oh, it will be like old times. You will come with me should I go to buy dresses or china sets for tea. Accompany me when I call upon a friend or entertain some. You will be like a daughter who is enjoying her mother's attentions. How would you like that?"

"And I still get to do the laundry?"

"Oh no. You are not going as a servant anymore Rose, you will not be doing those chores anymore."

No chores? Go to shops? Entertain guests? That did not sound like work at all.

"But Your Grace., how am I to earn my keep?"

"By being my companion, how else?"

It sounded so good, she really have to say Yes. She knew she can't be a servant forever. And when Damian marries, she cannot be there to witness his wife and him acting as a married couple. She would die.

"I accept Your Grace.."

"Wonderful. Wonderful. We will prepare as soon as the wedding takes place, I plan to visit several friends. Remember to pack only your finest dresses dear," Lucille stood up and went for the door, "and oh, before I forget. You will be attending the wedding as my companion, so we need a new gown for you. Can't have you serving the guests if I plan to showcase you, can we?"

Em was about to nod but the Duchess was gone, leaving her shocked and excited. She gets to dress up and attend a wedding. Fancy that. Never in her life had she imagined she'll ever get there.

Soon, she'll be leaving Hinley Manor. No more laundry or sweeping the floor. But also, no more Samantha and Ana. And, she sighed, no more Damian.

Is she prepared to leave it all behind?