Chapter 64: The final piece

"The pieces of the puzzle have a tendency to come together when you least expect it."

-Jane Green
⚜️

Alexi arrived at Fairclough and shortly after, Dathan did. Both of them were bone tired.

Lucille, Em and Damian burst into the drawing room and confronted them.

"Are you alright?" Asked the dowager.

"What happened? Did you find anything?" Em added and went to Dathan's side. "Do you need anything?"

"Some water, I am parched." He said then shook his head. "Better yet, wine. I need something strong if I want to make it tonight."

Em stood up and hurried towards the wine cellar.

Damian scoffed and handed both men some fresh water. "Whatever happened to you two? You look like you rode your horses from Hinley to Fairclough."

"It certainly feels like we did." Alexi said and gulped down the water. "May I have another?"

Damian refilled his cup. "What did you mean, Alexi?"

"Well, thanks to you and your ego, we had to go all over the place to find answers." Replied his twin. "If only you were willing to use your connections, things would have been easier. But that does not concern you, doesn't it?"

"Must I play games with you, little brother? I came here because mother told me there was a situation. But the way I see it, there seemed to be no harm done. May I take my leave?" He looked at Lucille who was wiping her younger son's brow.

"No, you stay. And we will tell you everything."

Damian exhaled. "Fine. This better be good."
***

After Em had retrieved a good wine from the cellar and both Alexi and Dathan had caught their breaths, they began to go over with the situation.

By the time Em had finished explaining what was going on, Damian was fuming with anger.

"How could you be so stupid?!" He asked but did not direct it to anyone in the room. "If anyone found out that you were prying into the Hanselworth's, it will be bad for us all."

"Damian," his mother said, "it is partly my fault that Rose got engaged to Gideon. So, I am helping her break it. Also, because this is against her will."

"Mother, do not blame yourself. Her engagement is not our problem. You merely did your duties to her. You brought her to the city and got her new clothes. Had we not hosted for her first season? Had we not invited her to our home?" He shook his head. "It was not your fault that she got the knight wrapped in her skirts."

"Damian-"

"Shh." Lucille pulled Dathan back down. "You are right, in the eyes of the law I have indeed done my duties to this woman. But, I will not stand aside knowing that I could change things if I just have the courage to do so. My conscience as a mother will not let me rest."

"And for what? A maid? You are going to sacrifice our family's good name for her?"

"Damian, that is enough." Alexi snapped. "We simply wished to help, Emelia. I understand that you refused to lend a hand but we do not blame you for doing so. You have your reputation to protect. But, I, your brother and mother are doing this on our own accord. No one forced anyone so stop screaming at us."

Damian turned to him and said, "You are not part of this family, Alexi. So step aside. I am trying to save everyone of you from committing a mistake."

"I will not. Seeing as how you treat your mother, I'd say you are the one who needs to step aside."

"What did you say?!"