Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting

"Sometimes, when things are falling apart that's when they may actually be falling into place."
-Unknown

⚜️
The next day was a busy one. Lucille had called upon her friends to help organise the upcoming wedding.

There were florists, cooks, musicians and decorators. It was expected that it will be a grand wedding. The Davensport's planned to have the celebration in the garden and the wedding will be held at the gazebo.

Between the ruckus of the crowd, Em found herself making notes on the florists' requests so she can take it to the Duchess herself. After yesterday, Lucille had formally taken her in as a companion. She was to report directly to her and not to Ana.

At first, Em was reluctant. She had never done this before and she was afraid to make mistakes. All her life she had been helping Ana around the kitchen and have known hard labor since.

When the florist finally told her to go, she ran to the sun room where Lucille was finishing her dress. She found the Duchess alone.

"Your Grace."

"Oh, it's you dear. Come sit.."

Em took the chair while Lucille stood with the nearly finished dress. It was prettier than yesterday, she couldn't wait to try it on.

"How are the preparations going on?

"The musicians have requested to have a stage erected by the grounds and Oscar had supervised the men who will work on it, the cooks have agreed to divide the pastries and main dishes on all their people.." she flipped the paper and checked the list, "and the florist wanted to know if you'd want violets or roses for the gazebo?"

"Hmmm, I suppose we can go for roses. The theme is already of lavender, violets will be redundant. Don't you think so?"

Em smiled, "I knew you'd prefer roses, Your Grace.."

"We'll, we do have a garden of it. Why not make use of them? Besides, it's not like everyday I'd get to see my first born son get married."

She merely nodded. Everyday marked the remainder of how long Damian will be a bachelor. She have less than two weeks but her heart had already bid it's goodbyes. They can never be together. There's no use of even hoping.

"Seems to me that one of my children is avoiding me. Do you have any ideas why, Rose?"

Em stared at the Duchess, "You mean Lady Julianna? I believe she was with her governess Your Grace. I can call her if you would like."

"Oh no. She's taking her lessons, best not disturb them. I was talking about my other son."

"Oh."

Now that she thought about it, she hasn't seen Dathan since his arrival yesterday. When dinner was served it was just the Duke and Duchess with Lady Julianna on the dining room. Damian had gone to the town and met with some old time friends. He was absent this morning for breakfast because he came home very drunk last night.

"Would you see if you can find Dathan for me dear? I would like to talk to that rascal."

He wasn't really a rascal. It was Duchess Lucille's way of endearment to her mischievous offspring.

"I will see what I can do Your Grace. After I tell the florist what flower you preferred."

Lucille nodded and went back to sewing. Em closed the door and went back downstairs.

"Emelia.."

"Evangeline. How are you today?"

"I am well." But her eyes had dark circles, she wasn't able to sleep well, that was very evident. "Where are you headed?" She noticed that Em no longer wore the uniform working clothes like the other maids.