Chapter 51: Presumed scandal

"There never was a scandalous tale without some foundation."

-Richard Brinsley Sheridan
⚜️

It would seem that since the beginning of the season the town's notorious gossip section had nothing in store for the patrons.

Yet.

Some would think it was too early for any scandal to emerge but the recent stories were too boring even for the wallflowers to read. Everyone was tiptoeing around the balls and the Mama's are being careful with their daughters. The writers knew they had to come up with some story to fend them off and keep the masses entertained.

The readers were hungry.

The story of the Duke of Ackernetch and his friend exchanging blows have been long forgotten. It would seem that no one was interested in men's fist fights.

So when the rich and famous yet private lord of the Montessor tower held a ball one night, people were beaming with excitement and hope.

The party was at its finest when the arrival of a royalty was announced, the trumpets were blown and the dance floor cleared. Everyone had stared at the massive doors, holding their breath to have a glance at an important guest.

"His majesty, Prince Ylsien of Kelmsleigh."

It was the second prince. The guests have began to murmur around. Why would royalty visit the tower? And whilst during the season? Did anyone knew of it?

What they saw was a rather young man who sported the royal purple ensemble that anyone could envy. He smiled at the guests while they bowed as he walked by. His entourage followed behind.

The host, Count Mondiego came up and bowed at the young prince.

"Your Highness, welcome to Montessor tower."

"Rise Count Mondiego. And I thank you for the warm welcome. I believe we have arrived just in time for the dancing."

"Indeed, your timing is most gallant, your Highness. Please, come right this way." Count Mondiego led him towards the high tables where only the highest of ranks were allowed to occupy. It was situated on an elevated structure so that when the prince sat down, he could still see the entire ballroom. It was the best seat in the house.

"Carry on." Ylsien said to the musicians.

They did and everyone went back to the dance floor and continued.

"I guess he could attend the season at his age. Its not like he's here for a wife anyways." Whispered a curious matron to her friend.

"Of course not, you silly. A prince can only marry a princess. His brother, the crown prince has been betrothed since birth to another royalty."

"But it does not answer the question why he is here." Commented another woman.

"One can only imagine. The royalties can do whatever they pleased and leave us all wondering." Replied another.

Evangeline watched as the whole spectacle unfold. She clenched her teeth. This was bad. Everyone was too distracted by the prince's arrival. She had to do something before the night ended. She stared at the group of matrons heavily gossiping on one corner. They would have to do.
***

Emelia was fumbling at her skirt. What if the plan won't work? She looked at Alexi who stood next to her, he looked calm and unbothered. Well, why would he be?

"Breathe, Em. I am here. We will make this work." He said.

"I am trying. I apologize if I cannot act as nonchalant as you do."