Chapter 37: Dew drops

"Dew drops are the gems of morning. But the tears of mournful eve."

-Samuel Taylor

⚜️

Spendell's dining area was huge. There were about a hundred tables to cater guests and also small events. Chandeliers hung up above the ceiling that glowed brightly. The windows that ran from the roof to the floor had been drawn since the rain continued to pour down. Many respectable guests from neighboring towns had also found themselves stranded here. Each table had its own server and there was even an group of musicians playing on one corner. The hotel had indeed put all efforts to satisfy their patrons. But tonight, they had the honor to host the Duchess of Hinley and her beautiful companion.

"This way your grace." Said a smiling server who had prepared a secluded table away from the prying eyes of the other guests.

"We would like to start with some sherry." Lucille said as they took their seats.

Em had no disagreement with a cup of sherry for she knew her tense muscles needed it. And Lucille felt the same.

"Of course, your grace. I'll bring them right away." Said the young lad before bowing away from them.

Em noticed that the other guests are openly staring at them and it did not sit well with her. Her mistress was either oblivious of it all or she may just not care.

"Ignore them, child. It is not everyday that they get to see me out and about after all. And without my dear old husband with me." Lucille said in a hushed tone while her eyes surveyed the menu. "They must think it poor of me to be out here alone without a man."

"Surely they are merely wondering why you have your servant sitting with you, my lady." Interrupted a passing matron who smiled graciously at Lucille.

Em did not recognize the woman and she could tell her mistress did not know her as well. But since she appeared to be staying standing over their table, Lucille couldn't simply send her away.

"She is not a servant, if you must know. She is my companion. And that is 'Your Grace' to you."

The woman paled.

"I...I..you're no simple gentry?" She whispered. Heads were bobbing up and down all around them and the atmosphere was rancid. "I mean, you looked like the richest lady who'd ever come to Spendell's. And I know every wealthy patron who came to dine with us."

Lucille's brow raised. "I know not who you are woman but you clearly know how to overstep your bounds. I am Lucille Davensport, Duchess of Hinley and you have greatly disturbed my evening."

The woman literally gasped.

The guests have started whispering as well. Em tried not to look anywhere but at this stranger who approached them. How could she not know Lucille? She could only imagine that considering the distance between Spendell's and Hinley was a tad bit distant that these people did not know who they served.

"Have you anything to say for yourself?" Lucille asked in a cold tone.

The woman shook her head. Utterly embarrassed.

"Then off you go."

And she did just that.

Lucille put the menu down and stared at her, "They can bloody talk and stare but no one is making you feel inferior, Rose. You are here with me because you earned it.And no, we are not leaving this dining room just because that horrible man has scared you." Lucille added as her companion tried to say something.

Moments after Em left her, the door to her suite burst open. The poor girl was drenched and her shoes soiled beyond belief. When she was told of what happened, she wanted to summon the man and cast her wrath at him. But Em persuaded her not to cause such trouble and mayhap wait until her husband joined them.