Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today."
-Franklin Roosevelt

⚜️
Friday. The day before the wedding day was expected to commence. Servants at Hinley Manor buzzed as early as the dawn. Guests from Lydia's family has added to the populace and there were more mouths to feed. Ana was being assisted by three more women that the Duchess hand picked herself to do the cooking.

It was quiet different for Emelia though. Her day has now started with getting dressed and helping the Duchess prepare for the day. She no longer donned her working clothes and helped out Ana or Sam in the kitchen. Her hands no longer met Lady Julianna's soiled sheets or any laundry at the moment. It was this day that she had told herself that she had adjusted to her new station.

The previous evening had been a trying one. When the family returned from a private dinner the Duchess asked her to rest early as they would need her strength on the morrow. Damian had ignored her much to her dismay but she knew it was for the best. He appeared to have finally taken to his fiancee. Em laid on her bed which had been on her new room one that was far from the servants quarters but next to Lady Julianna's governess. In contrast to her old quarters it was much luxurious. Here she had a bedside table and chair with a standing mirror. Here newly acquired hand me down clothes were in a sizable closet.  But she couldn't get a wink. And it had been like that every evening, like a mantra, she told herself to sleep and start a new day. She prayed that it would work.

She saw Dathan trying to corner her but to no success. He couldn't accept her refusal and had been persistent on getting a different answer. She hid once on Ana's chambers and stayed there until morning. It was there that she awoke and started getting ready. She only went to her room to change clothes.

After donning a soft yellow gown from the Duchess' old trunk, Emelia made her way to the second landing. The servants had been careful not to wake any family members just yet. She had to tiptoe and knock lightly on Lucille's room.

"Come in." She heard against the door.

Em pushed the oak doors open and closed it as soft as she can. The Duchess was still wrapped in her blanket and the room was quite chilly.

"Goodmorning your Grace," she curtsied and went ahead to stoke the kindling until she got the fire going, "shall I bring your tea or would you like to dine downstairs?"

Lucille mumbled something but she couldn't hear it. Em knew that Lucille loved to stay in bed longer than usual but she specifically asked Emelia to do everything to wake her up. So she did what she thought would be the best. She pushed the curtains aside bathing Lucille's bed in the early morning sun rays.

The blanket went up, "Ah blasted! I was having a wonderful dream." Lucille said, her hair in a disarray. Her eyes blinked at the light and then she saw Emelia smiling, "Goodness child, it was just you. I thought someone has gotten into the Manor and found my chambers."

"Are you awake, Your Grace?"

Lucille closed her eyes and forced a smile, "Yes I am." Her nightcap fell off her shoulders before it rolled down the floor.

"Wonderful. Now, shall I call for a bath?"

Lucille's eyes flew open, "No! Are you trying to kill me? It is only what? Six in the morning? You do know it is way too cold for a bath."

Em chuckled, "But Your Grace you said I need to do everything to wake you up. A nice cold bath will raise your spirits in no time."

She shook her head, "Ahh, what am I to do without you Rose?."
***

The Duchess finally emerged from her chambers in a fresh blue gown. Her hair was styled beautifully and lips were painted with cherry tint. She walked into the dining room and found Lydia's mother and female cousin having breakfast.