Chapter Four: Old stirrings

"Sometimes you can't explain what you see in a person. It's just the way they take you to a place where no one else can."
-Unknown

⚜️
Damian cradled her gently and carried her outside the sun room. Her eyes had snapped shut and her hands clutched his shirt. She must be in so much pain. He kicked open a door.

Em felt herself being lowered down a soft bed, Damian pulled away but she held unto his shirt.

"What's the matter?" He asked.

Em slowly opened her eyes, the nausea was gone. Her breath was slowly going back to normal. She found herself staring into Damian's blue eyes.

"I, uh..."

"Em? Are you alright?"

Her eyes widened, he did remembered her!" You...er, my lord.. I am quite fine now."

Damian sighed with relief and gave her a polite smile, "Will you let me look at those scratches?"

"It's alright. Please, do not trouble yourself." Em pulled her sleeves down to hide her bruised elbow. Her eyes staring down on her lap.

"I'm merely concerned, Em. Can't you let me see them at least?"

Stubborn as always, she thought. Might as well let him see it then, it's not like he'd know how to treat bruises anyway.

Em pushed the sleeves up and carefully folded her elbow. Damian gently touched and examined it.

"The skin's torn but it's not deep," he let her elbow go and went to his duffel bag, he came back with a small bottle, "we'll have to clean it then cover it with gauze."

He poured a small amount of alcohol into his handkerchief and dabbed the cloth into her elbow. Em winced as the pain tore through her skin, Damian grabbed her, she pulled back but he was stronger.

"Be still or you'll only hurt yourself."

Em stilled, there was something in his voice that she did not recognize. Perhaps, he did changed a lot?

Damian cleaned her elbow throughly and took a strip of clean cloth, he wrapped it around just tight enough that she can still move. When it was done, he pulled her sleeves back into place.

"There. Can't say good as new but in a few days, that ought to close itself out."

Em flexed her arm and found that she no longer felt the pain, the makeshift gauze felt snug but comfortable.

"Thank you...my lord.."

"Now, that isn't the way to greet an old friend. Is that right?"

Em blushed. Not only did he remember her name, he remembered their past as well. 

"W-welcome home, Lord Damian.." she said, head still bowed.

Damian placed the alcohol bottle back into his duffel bag and sat next to Emelia, only then did she realized that they were in his room. She scooted a little close to the pillar of the bed.

"Are you trying to make fun of me Em?"

"N-no...my lord."