Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress

"Desire creates havoc when it is the only thing between two people or it is what's missing."
-Mignon Mclaughlin

⚜️
Em ran down the hallway and opened the first door she came up. She dared not look back in case Damian would chase her. Tears began to swell again and she let them fall.

She loved him still. Her response confirmed that and she hated herself for it. How could she allow him to use her like that? He wanted her maiden head but he won't marry her. Why can't he see that they can never be?

Em sank into the floor and hugged her knees against her chest. She cried silently as she had done before. When she first learned the twins were going away, she had cried. At first she thought it was because they had been her closest friends and she may never see them again. But as the years went by, she realized she actually had stronger feelings for them. She had cried herself to sleep for the first year and no one ever heard her.

Her body shuddered. She wanted to scream and vent her anger. But even that, she cannot do. If someone found her in this state they would wonder why a scullery maid, now made companion, was crying in an empty room. As someone with her station, she was simply not allowed to show her emotions. Servants are here to work not practice their acting skills.

So she wiped her tears and composed herself. When her breathing had finally calmed down, she stood up and smoothed her skirt. She was wearing a decent gown, no longer the work clothes Ana and the others wore. She had to start acting like a proper companion. Lady Lucille will be disappointed if she can't even take care of her dress.

Taking in a deep breath, Em walked out the door and sought out Lady Warrick.
*****

Lydia was by the gazebo. She had watched the decorators made plans how to arrange the flowers on her wedding. She was to walk the stoned pathway and the priest along with her groom will be standing in the gazebo. She could already picture Damian by the steps. His face would be as handsome as ever and he would smile at her.

She sighed sadly at the thought. For as long as she can remember, Damian had only given her polite smiles. The one he wore when he spoke with acquaintances. She knew he had a different smile reserved for people close to him. She doubted she would see on their wedding.

The workers have been happy to see her and she waved to them. She was familiar with some of the faces but the names mixed on her mind. She wondered if one of them was her fiancé's mistress.

Lydia studied a group of women who were serving refreshments to the male workers. Some were quiet pretty with fair-skin and soft blonde curls. She tried picturing them around Damian, which one would he pick?

"My Lady?"

She turned and saw a raven-haired woman. She had amber eyes and a small face. Lydia's brows furrowed, she didn't recall seeing her before. Her dress indicated that she wasn't a scullery maid. She looked like someone's handmaiden and she was actually beautiful.

"What is it?"

"The dowager wishes to see you, my lady."

She smiled. Lucille did mention she was about to see her wedding gown as it was almost completed.

"I shall see her now."

"This way my lady."

Lydia lifted her skirts and followed the woman. She looked like just about her age, maybe younger. Her stature was small yet she showed grace and confidence, as if she had been used to hard work. How could she have slipped her attention? Raven hair was a rare sight from she was from and she believed even here in Hinley. Why is someone from the East employed with the Davensports?