Chapter Three: An accident

"Anything outside marriage seems like freedom and excitement."
-Jeanette Winterson

⚜️
Lydia sighed and sank into her bed. The journey had been way too tiring for her. Damian had been excited to be back that he ignored her request to rent a room in town to rest, he wanted to push it all the way through without a respite.

Now that she's here and she saw Hinley, she began to understand why her parents chose Damian to marry her off. Not only did he have a title to inherit, Hinley Manor was so grand and beautiful. No one can question how rich they are.

Her father, the fourteenth Earl of Wrightsboro had introduced her to several rich bachelors ever since she came of age. Since she did not have any male sibling, it was her responsibility to give him a grandson to continue the legacy. Her mother was just too passive to defend her. And also, because her father was in very huge debt.

Damian came along and her father wasted no time to ensnare the man. A letter to the Duke stating how good it would be to establish partnership between the Warrick's and Davensport's was all it took and the next thing they knew, an engagement was due.

She and Damian had not been lovers. They barely knew each other. Though he had been gentleman enough to accompany her throughout the journey, she could tell he did not like her. Whenever she tried to make conversations he would always give her a Yes or a No.

Most marriages were fixed. She knew it. Damian did too. So, why the cold treatment? Didn't he find her attractive at all?

A knock came through the door, "Come in."

A young girl came in and curtsied. "My lady, Lord Damian asks if you would like a tray sent here?"

She was tired and spent, having food sent up here seemed a good idea, "Yes. I would like that."

The servant bowed and left. She'll deal with Damian later, for now, she'd rather have a bath. She found the brass bells and pulled it twice.
****

Damian washed his face and changed into a simpler shirt. Dust clung to his hair and shoes but a bath would have to wait. His parents were already starting their meal when he arrived.

"Hello Ana, what do you have for me?" he asked the cook.

Ana curtsied and gave him a plate, "Something worth of your return, My Lord."

"You always cook the best, I do miss your pies."

"I can make one for lunch, My Lord. I'm afraid we didn't have enough candied plums yet."

He waved her off, "Where's Sam? I believe she's still here with you?"

"She is, My Lord. She's currently out back."

Damian nodded ready to ask another question but Julianna came down.

"Damian! You're here! You're finally here!"

He rose from his seat and picked up his younger sister, she was five when he left. Now, she's grown almost up to his chest. He carried her towards the dining area where his family sat.

"Ah, there's my little angel. Have you been a good girl where I was away?"

"I did. Didn't I Mama?"

"Yes dear. You did." Answered Lucille.

"Now, now Jules. Let your brother eat first." Vincent said.

The girl complied and took the seat next to Damian, she couldn't bear to be away even for a minute. She let him pick her food even though she hated vegetables.

Damian was enjoying his meal when he saw a figure walked by, he stared at her lithe form as she disappeared into the kitchen. There was no mistaking that dark hair and amber eyes. Though she wore identical work clothes with the other servants, he could still remember how Rose looked like.
****

The stain on the bedsheet proved to be a real mess, Sam and Em took turns scrubbing it off. By the time it was almost noon they rinsed a much whiter and cleaner sheet.

They hang it out to dry and was proud of their work. Both their hands were blistered but it was worth it. Sweat soaked their clothes and was too uncomfortable to ignore.

They both went back to their room and changed. Sam left immediately after Ana called for help. They were out of candied plums and Sam had to get some.

Em changed and went back to the kitchen, she passed by the hall where the family dined. She wanted to peek but chose not to. She went directly to the table and looked around what she could do to help Ana. The cook was cutting up onions and a pot was boiling with meat.

"Need a hand?"

Ana smiled, "I'm good. How's the laundry?"

"Tough but we managed. It's drying out back as we speak."

"Good, good." She stirred the pot and added salt, "Actually, I need the curtains from the sun room changed, The Duchess had it dusted but those curtains simply wouldn't do."

The sun room was Lucille's favourite part of the house, it was where she sewed and read books.

"I'll go."

"Thank you Rose."

Em smiled, she was rarely called Rose. In fact, only Lucille and Ana did. The mistress loved roses and thought it suited her, a four year old bedraggled orphan who just happen to drop at their doorstep. Roses are wonderful, they look pretty and smell nice. Em wasn't any of those things.

The sun room was empty save for a few articles that their mistress was working on, a bust stood by the window with a half finished skirt. The curtains hang plainly and dry, how could the other servants missed it?

Em pulled a chair and hoisted herself up, the windows were large and the curtains were long. She had to tiptoe to unhook the ends of the curtain. It shook and tangled around her causing dust to fall directly at her face. Em sneezed and lost her footing. Her hands tried to reach for the curtains but it slipped away.

A horrified gasp tore from her throat, she braced herself for the impact. The chair fell and she felt her body hit the floor, there was a sudden pain on her side. She looked around and saw the chair on its back, the curtain fell over it.

Pushing herself up she saw her elbows scraped, her cheek also hurt. It'll bruise, she knew. But besides that, she looked fine. The door suddenly burst open.

"I heard something fell—"

Damian saw her on the floor, he immediately knelt down. "Are you alright?" He asked.

Em couldn't bring herself to speak, she bowed her head and gave a slight nod.

He's here.

Really here. 

Damian touched her shoulder and she winced in pain, "I'm sorry. But you need to have this taken care of, did you fall?"

Again, a slight nod.

Why isn't she talking to him? Mayhap, she hit her head?

"Do you need me to carry you?"

Em's eyes widened, "No..no, you don't have to...My Lord."

"But you are hurt."

"Just a little scrape, I'll be fine."

Damian wasn't convinced, he carefully encircled his arms around her body and swung her up. Em shrieked at the sudden movement, she wasn't used to being carried around. Feeling her feet hung above the ground made her nauseous. Yet, being in his arms felt wonderful.