Chapter 34: The departure

"Don't ever think that everyone who leaves wants to."
-Unknown
⚜️

Sundays at Hinley Manor was usually quite. Today was not an exemption. Guests have slowly crowded the dining area for food while others wandered around the halls for entertainment. They were too spent to go home just yet.

And just like everyone else, three people have found themselves trapped inside. Right in the heart of the manor: The family library.

Alexi felt the heaviness of the gun against the back of his head while his hands grasped Emelia's ties. He cannot make sudden moves if he wished to live.

"I believe you are interrupting us, sir." Alexi said, still maintaining that superior air. "I demand you step away from me."

"And I am glad I interrupted just in time." Replied the man behind him. "How dare you force yourself on her?"

Em opened her mouth but could not say anything. Her throat was dry from all the crying she did. Alexi tapped her hands to assure her he would not let the man hurt them. But she merely looked at him with scared eyes.

"I understand that this looks compromising but I assure that it is not." Alexi told the man. "I am a guest of the Davensport's. I suggest you step away now."

The man scoffed but he removed the gun and stepped back. Alexi sighed with relief and slowly rose to his full height before turning his head towards the man.

"You better explain yourself, guest." Dathan said, his right hand still clutching the gun. "And you better start now."

Alexi was expecting an assassin or some sick gentleman to come after him. Just like the usual commoners that have tried to sneak up to him. But seeing the Davensport's second son shocked him for a moment. Dathan did not look like a dangerous man when he met him the night prior.

"Dathan...you surprised me. I did not take you as a gun kind of man."

"I am not. Mostly I use my bare hands to snap someone's neck but a gun is efficient, too." He replied after clenching his other hand and the bones cracked loudly. "I supposed you did not expect me to pick the lock as well."

He picked the lock? Alexi shook his head. What a puzzling man. "No, I have not. I guessed you may have used a false wall to get in."

Dathan's eyes turned dark. "I may have but that is not what I want to hear from you." He raised the gun at Alexi's face, "Now, tell me what drove you to harm this woman?"

Alexi raised his hands up in the air. He must show Dathan he did not wish for a fight. "Let me explain."

"Sit." He motioned Alexi to sit on the cushioned seat he had disregarded awhile ago. "Make no move while I untie her."

Alexi nodded and slumped down the seat. Dathan lowered down his gun and went on his knees. His hands worked on Em's wrists while he kept an eye on Alexi from the corner of his vision.

"Are you hurt?" He asked her.

Em shook her head while she touched her wrists. They hurt.

Dathan sensed she was still shaken so he sat beside her. His bulk hid most of her face from Alexi. The couch groaned beneath his weight. His eyes caught Alexi's. Both men measured their strength.

"Talk."
***

Being a royalty was a right Alexi enjoyed. He had authority on almost everything and that gave him pleasure. Being above the nobles and gentries was something he indulged whenever he could.

But it was not all unicorns and rainbows. As he grew up, multiple assassins have attempted to take his life. Being the only son and heir of the Kingdom had roused jealousy from the King's cousins and other relatives. They all wanted to seize the power from the young Prince. And so, he began to hide his true identity and travelled quite often to widen his influence. If he couldn't rally allies from his own Kingdom then he shall do so from another monarchy. He was in the middle of doing so when he came into this tight situation.