Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty

"Most are not in denial. They know what's coming."
-Tracy Lux

⚜️
The rest of the week passed by in a blur. Em managed to avoid Dathan's attentions, whenever he tried to corner her, she slipped away. Em focused on being Lucille's companion. The Duchess' presence was enough to straighten him.

Her lavender gown was finally done. Lydia had been spending some time with her fiancé and they appeared to have reached an agreement. Tuesday was one of those days.

Em was on her way to Lucille's room when she saw Damian emerged from his room. He was dressed in a riding habit and was ready to go out. Lydia came out almost immediately and was wearing a similar outfit. The couple must be planning to ride outside.

"...isn't the road dangerous at this time?"

She heard Lydia asked with her nightingale voice.

"It's quiet damp but the horses are trained well. You'll be fine." Damian answered.

"And you will be there, of course."

"Yes. Come, Peterson is waiting."

Lydia linked her arm around Damian's and they walked downstairs. Em paused, she was three steps away from the second landing. She dropped her eyes and curtsied before any of them could notice her.

"Good morning My Lord, My lady."

"Emelia.." Lydia smiled at her, "you are to see Mama?"

"Yes, my lady." Em said, still looking down. The image of them standing so close was something she did not want to see. Not yet.

"Very well, we shall be on our way. Let's go Damian." She tugged at her fiancé's arm.

Em waited until the couple was several steps away from her before she moved on. She knew Damian wanted to speak with her but not when Lydia was around. He still had not forgotten what happened at the dark closet. And she wasn't sure if she'd like to talk about it anyway.

Mayhap he had realized they cannot be together after all and his feelings for her were just of friendship. That is why he was spending time with Lydia, he was finally seeing the woman she can never be.

It hurt.

She wasn't expecting he would be able to accept her rejection right away. Fool. Of course he would. He was Damian Davensport, the next Duke of Hinley. A handsome rich lord whose dreams are just at a hands length. A scullery maid will be an easy thing of the past.

Em fought not to cry. She was done crying. By now, just four days away from the wedding, she should already be stronger. No more self-pity. You can do this, she told herself. She knocked on Lucille's room and went inside when the duchess answered.
******
Dathan woke up early. He had been tossing on his bed for some nights now. Despite how many cups of wine he consumed he still could not forget Em's kisses. Oh, damnation! What has the woman done to him?

He sat up and raked his fingers through his hair. It was messy and so was everything else. His beard was longer, his shirt wrinkled and dirty. If his mother sees him she would think he had gone mad. Mayhap he had. All he could think was Em's hands on his skin, her lips answering to his kisses and her soft moans. Just by remembering them his trousers started tightening and it was not because it was morning.

Bloody hell.

He leaned against the headboard.

He wanted Em. Not just her touch, not just her smile and soft laughter. He wanted her beneath him, naked, wet and willing. He wanted all of her.

But she was leaving. And he had only four days left to woo her. He was running out of ideas.
*****

Lucille was due to visit some friends in town and Em was riding with her. Today, she wore an emerald dress that showed off her shoulders and a little bit more of her bosom. Lucille insisted she wore it despite the morning chill.