695

Advice Request
This person is feeling disconnected.

Answered Submission
Hello,

First off I’d like to say that there is nothing wrong with you, nothing at all, things like this happen more often to people than you’d think and it’s so great that you’re acknowledging it rather than ignoring it and letting it happen.

Have you ever been diagnosed with any sort of mental health? If not, I definitely think it’s best discussing this with a doctor to get a professional opinion on what you can do and how they can help. Getting an official diagnosis is important. However, if you can’t, intensive research on it could also help but not equal it. Professional diagnosis is still more accurate.

It’s a lot more common than you think for people to feel this way and it’s perfectly okay for your brain to disconnect from the world for a while, sometimes it’s the way your brain may cope with certain things like depression. Don’t think you’re weird or different. We’re all unique and having something different doesn’t mean it’s wrong or weird. You’re perfectly normal.

I would suggest talking with someone in person, it always helps expressing your feelings out to people and sometimes it even helps just saying it out loud. I’d also suggest trying to find something that keeps you connected to the world, whether that’s going on a walk or even just taking a shower. Going outside more often in this condition often the world isn’t possible but it would be nice to just stand outside in the cold outside of your house, front yard or apartment. That much should keep you connected to the world.

I think you’d be surprised with how many people understand what you’re going through and want to help, even if only one person listens at least you’re saying how you feel to someone. I know opening up to people can be daunting and sometimes incredibly hard but it’s the first step to be able to say you’re doing something about it.

There are also a lot of helplines if you’re unsure of what to do with your mental health and can simply find them by searching for a mental health line that works in your country, which you can talk to them anonymously through the phone or even email/text in and they can help you figure out what your next step is. Personally, I would suggest you don’t reveal your name, address or any other personal information no matter how much they insist.

I hope this helps and happy new year!

With love,
The Advice Column Team