698

Advice Request
This person is wishing for prom to take place as it should be.

Answered Submission
Hey!

It’s understandable to have desires of having fun and going out to hang out with friends. Genuinely, it’s alright to have those thoughts. However, the current situation isn’t getting any better because people keep thinking of fun and ignoring the rules. You can, of course, go out but you need to follow the the rules of distancing yourself, sanitizing the things you touch and wearing a mask. Those are a necessity now, they’re not an option.

If you can’t have an in-person prom and genuinely, it would be for the best because the health of you, your friends and your schoolmates matters more than anything right now. It might be upsetting to hear this but it’s true that health matters more.

However, it could be alright to invite a few—only a few—friends to your house around the prom time and have a house prom! Sanitize all the things you or your friends would be touching, make sure all the food is safe, wear masks and avoid body contact with each other and it could still be fun to show off dresses and gather up, eat some food, hang out together. This means, as long as you strictly (emphasis on strictly) follow the rules, you could have fun too.

Your thoughts aren’t selfish, but we need to move along with the world without harming each other. I hope you understand. Have fun with your senior year, I’m sure you can do lots of things even without going out a lot.

Stay safe and wear a mask!
Thank you,
The Advice Column Team