647

Advice Request
This person has dealt with a lot.

Answered Submission
Hello,

My heart hurts for you after hearing what you're going through. I know that it is not easy but you are so, so strong for bearing the weight of everything. You've done so well this far. Now, I won't keep saying things you've probably heard from other people already. You don't need pity or apologies for things people can't change. However instead of apologies and pity, I can give you my advice.

In your request, you didn't ask for any specific advice. That is completely fine. That action alone helps me to get a view into your mind, and how I can help. Honey, you have so much in your head. It's a storm, and you are right in the thick of it. You feel lost, and alone, and maybe even scared. You don't know what to do, or where to go from here, or what the future looks like. And to make it all worse, chances are you're keeping all this to yourself. The best piece of advice I can give to you right now is to talk. Get it all out no matter how long it takes. Write down everything you think of to help organize your thoughts until you find someone you can trust enough to open up to. Start from whatever thought you have, continue writing and writing, don't scratch or erase or change your thoughts, write whatever you feel completely raw.

I know this all probably seems either really generic or absolutely impossible. Trust me, I've been there too, but being able to vent out your pain, your anger, your stress, is such a liberating thing. I mean, you'll probably feel like crap afterwards—worn out mostly. It's emotionally exhausting but you'll feel a hundred times lighter as well. It really does help, believe me. And you know, sometimes you find that out of the people in your life right now, there's one there who will be there for you. Who will listen to you, and be there for you even though you never saw them that way before. You just have to take a chance. It's scary, and difficult, but it can bring you so much closer to them, and it will bring you one step closer to healing as well.

My last piece of advice is to hold the people in your life dear to your heart. They're here with us for a reason. Love and protect your brother. He needs you more than anything and anyone right now. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions or need more advice, you are always welcome to contact us.

Stay strong,
The Advice Column Team