747

Advice Request
This person is having friendship issues.

Answered Submission
Hey!

That sounds like a tough situation to be stuck in. We'll go through a few things you can do to make the situation better.

First and foremost, you can ask the teacher or anyone else in charge to change your seat. Before that, ask another classmate of yours if they're willing to exchange their seat with you. If you find a person willing to do that, you can both go to the teachers or a head who can fix the assigned seating and ask them if you both can change your seats. However, if you don't find a person willing to change seats, you can try and sit in other people's seats when they are absent or simply ask the teacher if there's another free space in another table because you're not comfortable sitting in the current table.

We all have immature tendencies and personality traits that friends have to put up with sometimes. However, you also need to do the same for your friends and try to compromise as well. However, if Bob is embarrassed of you, then she's probably not a good friend because she knows you well and is purposefully talking to someone you don't like in front of you and is ignoring you. I don't think she's a good friend you should keep around, so I suggest you start maintaining distance from her during class and ignoring her as well.

If you can't really change seats, you'll have to be putting up with it for the rest of your school time. If your school allows electronic devices, you can try bring your phone and plug in earphones to not listen to them talk. MP3 or other music devices also work. If the school doesn't allow electronics, you can try to bring a novel with yourself or a coloring book or a sketchbook or any other activity to pass the time. If nothing works, eat your lunch as soon as you can and then go back to class quickly. If your school allows, you can try to find an empty classroom and eat there as well.

If worst comes to worst, you can try telling them to keep their voices down because you're trying to eat in peace. I suggest not doing this because I don't want you to be in contact with anyone that constantly gossips badly about others. Don't even bother looking at them because then they'll only focus more on you. Of course, it's easier said than done but try to limit your contact with them to the minimum.

I apologize you have to be stuck with them if nothing works, but please know that they're not a good influence on you so don't try to be nice to them. Please make better friends in real life or online. Making online friends is easier since finding people who share similar interests is pretty easier on twitter or instagram recently and the platform is very open minded. I suggest you try to improve relationships with other classmates as well. If not friends, just acquaintances is enough too.

Stay safe and maintain social distancing.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team