686

Advice Request
This person is struggling with some new additions in their family.

Answered Submission
Hey!

I am sorry to hear about your mother, it must’ve been a hard time and you’ve done so well to survive till now. I’m glad to hear that your family has been strong till now and that your dad and S are by your side now.

It can be quite frustrating to have younger siblings. Since they are the most loved and most spoiled. Regarding M, since your parents have left it to you, ask your parents if M can be punished in the same manner as you and your sisters. If you all grew up well, I’m sure a little punishment is bound to make him understand what he doing wrong. Punish him and then comfort him over why his actions were wrong and what he should do next time and what he should not. If he refuses to listen again, punish him next time again and comfort again but if he repeats it for the third time, don’t comfort him. Maybe be a little more strict.

Other methods would be taking away a toy or something he likes for a few hours as punishment and giving it back only if he agrees to behave himself. Although your parents must be busy, they’re still his parents, they should also do their part on scolding him and telling him to behave. Tell them what he does wrong and tell them to punish him well.

Kids often misbehave because they want attention. If you don’t give it any reaction or attention, he’ll get bored all by himself. He’s still young and has a lot to learn, you can’t expect him to be mature of course, so try to let him play a lot like little kids are supposed to. But don’t let him loose too much. I hope you can give it time some time too, maybe he’s having a hard time adjusting to different people or it’s some other problem with his friends or school. Check all factors of his life and get more closer to him while talking to him about what he likes or bonding over his favorite cartoon or animation.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your lovely family. Your family is blessed to have an amazing daughter like you. Please take care of yourself.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team