711

Advice Request
This person's parents want them to be more patient.

Answered Submission
Hey!

First and foremost, I just want to let you know that there is a clear difference between speaking your point of view and opinion in a kind and open-minded manner and being harsh and quick with your words and actions. You can most definitely speak up for yourself when you feel comfortable, so I hope you learn to make yourself feel safe when speaking up for yourself.

It’s quite obvious your parents are saying this for your own good and patience is most definitely one of the most well-praised trait in a person. If you’re willing to work on being patient, then I’m sure you can do it. It would be hard bottling up all those feelings and actions inside yourself, so find yourself an outlet. You can be patient with your words and actions and still choose to let out your frustrations by doing heavy exercise to exhaust your frustration, by ranting out to yourself in your diary or private social media account, by treating yourself to a good meal or your favorite dessert. It doesn’t only have to be such things: if and when you feel like your patience is wearing thin and you’re getting frustrated, try to do a good deed. Feed a stray cat, go to your neighbors and have a good talk, hand out a chocolate or lollipop to a random kid, donate money or clothes. Do something that makes you happy: buy some clothes or makeup, hangout with your friends.

You being patient has nothing to do with not speaking up for yourself. So be patient in your actions, kind in your words and then simply speak your mind. There would be nothing wrong or rude with it.

I hope you achieve what the peace of mind you’re looking for. Let us know if we can help more!

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team