649

Advice Request

The requestor is unsure of how to approach the guy they like.

Answered Submission

Hello,

Starting conversations with strangers can be difficult, especially if you are attracted to them. When it comes down to it, you have to decide how much you really want to talk to him and proceed from there. Are you willing to try talking to him with his friends around, or are you going to wait for an opening when he's alone? How long would you be willing to wait for that to happen? Decisions, decisions. 

If you're particularly shy, you can try giving him one of your social medias. It's not too hard to hand someone a piece of paper with your instagram or snapchat handle (if you have either of those) and walk away. Not only that, but if executed correctly, it can make you look bold and give you an air of confidence. From there, the ball is in his court. If he follows you, you have an in. Give it a couple hours or a day if he doesn't reach out first, which he probably won't depending on his age range. For example, if he's 13-17 he's less likely to reach out first. If he's 18+ he's more likely to, given that he is interested. If he doesn't, then you can text him something as simple as just "hi" or even "hey, I'm the girl from the park. What's up?" Anything to get the conversation started. 

I'll be honest; usually, I'm not one to vouch for social media romance. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer in person exchanges over text. Still, if that's what helps you, then I'm all for it. If you can't find a way to talk that doesn't come off as weird or too awkward, then go for baby steps under the guise of being smooth and bold. Who knows? It might just work. I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, or need more advice, we're here to help! 

Stay strong, 

The Advice Column Team