633

Advice Request
This person's friend's behavior is making them feel uncomfortable.

Answered Submission
Hello,

I'm sorry your friend is making you feel so uncomfortable. I understand that you have trouble saying no—a lot of people have this—and I hate to break it to you, but saying no may be your only option if you want her to actually stop. Now, I'm not saying you need to come at her fangs bared and ready. In  fact, I always advise against it. Confrontation does not have to be explosive or hostile. It doesn't have to be a bad experience. If anything, this should be a simple, quick conversation where you explain that she's making you uncomfortable and ask her to quit. That's all you have to do. You are not obligated to give any reasons or justify your feelings. You can tell her to stop, and leave it at that.

If you don't know what to say, here's a template. You can say something like, "Hey, (insert friend's name). It makes me really uncomfortable when you do A, B, and C. I would really appreciate it if you stopped doing that." Hopefully, she'll take your words seriously, and give it a rest. If not, then tell her again. She's not going to stop if she doesn't know you want her to. To her, it may be just a joke or something else, but to you it's something entirely different. She needs to know that you don't see it as a joke or something you're okay with.

I know it can be hard, but I know you can do it! I hope this helps!

Stay strong,
The Advice Column Team