724

Advice Request
This person's parents have enrolled them in martial arts classes and they don't want to do it anymore.

Answered Submission
Hey!

I totally understand why martial arts would make you miserable, I bet it hurts your body a lot as well. It must be exhausting for you but I also understand your parents pushing you to do it. No child goes to school willingly, it’s simply because they had to or were pushed to. However that ‘pushing to study’ ends up being the driving force and basis and helps you find out what path or career you want to choose in life. Sure enough, martial arts is hard and might even seem useless at one point. But strengthening your body is healthy and learning to defend yourself or even others would be a great asset to have. It can not only protect you but also your loved ones or strangers when they’re in need.

I would advise you to continue it but I also understand you finding it exhausting and perhaps if you’re very insistent and adamant on quitting, then you definitely should if you think it’s not the best for you. Try it out for a month or two more at the very least and see if you find any changes in your body or mental health that you’re very happy with or if it still doesn’t please you, talk to your parents about it again and say you think you’ve learnt enough and don’t wish to continue. It might be hard convincing your parents that you don’t wanna learn it especially since they’re concerned for you, so try to show them a few skills or perhaps convince them in a manner that conveys that you’re strong enough to protect yourself.

Please do stay safe while going outside.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team