708

Advice Request
This person has a friend who teases them a lot and in front of others, this hurts the person's feelings.

Answered Submission
Hello,

Please don’t say that you are weak when he is the one hurting you. Everyone has different ideas on what a joke is and people should know not to cross the lines. It is good that you have told him that you are hurt by his actions.

I don’t know the reason behind his behavior but if he did it more frequently in front of his friends, it might be because he wants to look cool in front of them, but this is only an assumption that I made.

What you can do now is:
1. Try telling him one more time that the stuff he’s doing to you is very hurtful and you don’t see it as a joke. It is to make sure that he knows that you’re serious as this is not your first time bringing it up to him.

2. If he still won’t stop, the only thing you can do is lessen the time you spend around him. It is not the best solution if you still want to be around him, but it’s the only way you can avoid yourself from being hurt by him again. You don’t have to completely avoid him but just enough so that he won’t ruin your day.

Other people’s actions are completely out of our power for us to stop, so we really have no power to completely stop your friend from doing hurtful stuff to you. If he still thinks that what he does is harmless, it would be harder to make him stop, so lessening the time you are with him is the next best thing we can do.
I hope this helps you.

Wishing you the best of luck,
The Advice Column Team