636

Advice Request
This person feels like they have some kind of personality disorder.

Answered Submission
Hey!

I understand that people are simply unique and different; others might call you ‘weird’ or a ‘freak’, but honestly, you’re just being yourself. And that’s a great thing! You’re self-aware, and you’re loud, and you’re cheery. Everyone should get passionate and stay cheerful these days; it’s a great trait to have.

Being empathetic and cheerful has nothing to do with your dark sense of humor. Humor does tell a bit about a person, but it’s just a small part of you. I used to write stories where my characters always ended up dead; my friends would often laugh at that and it was a joke amongst us. I understand that having dark humor isn’t the best thing in the world, but cherish it. It could be fun in a lot of ways.

As an empathetic person myself, I can tell you that you won’t always know how the other person feels (sometimes even yourself) until they tell you clearly. We can guess people’s feelings, but we can’t truly know how they feel at all. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Being socially awkward is also quite normal these days. We’re so used to texting online that we get awkward in real life. See if you can work to improve your in-person communication skills so that it doesn’t have the opportunity to become an issue in the future.

There are three different clusters of personality disorders. The second cluster consists of personality types that are dramatic, emotional or erratic. According to my research on all these personality disorders, as well as the information you have given us, you fit into none of them. Overall, you’re ‘normal’ in the realm of personality disorders, but you’re ‘unique’ in terms of everyone else’s personality. How boring would it be to be like everyone else! Simply try to accept your personality, because there is nothing wrong with you at all.

Keep smiling!

Thank You,

The Advice Column Team