761

Advice Request
This person was physically hurt by someone else.

Answered Submission
Hello,
I very sorry to hear that! I am also concerned for the both of you. Lashing out physically because he was angry is not a valid response, and it is not one you should accept. His behavior is unacceptable, and entirely inappropriate.

Now, the first thing I suggest you do is inform an adult. Even after the fact, it is important that you tell a trusted adult (i.e. parent, guardian, mentor, teacher, etc.) about the situation so that they can be aware of it. They might not be able to do anything depending on how long it's been since the event and if there were no other witnesses, but if it happens again they can keep track of it and help you take action to defend yourself with help from an authority figure.

Next, I highly suggest you stop talking to him. He slapped you once. It is likely he will do it again, and so it's best for you to ignore him and cut him off. If he approaches you, you can tell him squarely that you don't want to be around him after how he treated you, and to leave you alone. If it helps, have a friend around you when you can to boost your confidence.

Honey, it is really important that you learn to defend yourself. What he did is not at all okay, and you can't accept it because you're scared to do something about it. I'm not suggesting you engage in a physical confrontation. I am saying that you have a voice that needs to be used.

I hope this helps, love, and if you ever need or want more advice you are welcome to reach out any time.

Stay strong,
The Advice Column Team