Chapter Thirty Seven: Fallen Protector

Godzilla moved through Mantle, Penny's broken body in his arms as he searched for her father's workshop. After what felt like hours, he finally found it.

Godzilla knocked on the door, hoping the doctor was inside.

When Doctor Pietro Polendina heard knocking on the door of his shop, he didn't know who it was. After awhile, whoever was at the door started banging on it, which made Pietro answer it.

He gasped as he saw in his visitor's arms was his daughter, offline and badly damaged. "Penny!" He yelled.

"Help her." Godzilla said.

The two brought Penny inside and onto a table. Godzilla's black armor had been stained green thanks to Penny's blood.

"What happened to her?" The doctor asked.

"Mechagodzilla tried to kill me. Your daughter... She saved my life." The Kaiju answered truthfully. "Can you fix her?"

"Yes, but it's not as simple as you might..." Pietro began, before he entered a coughing fit.

"Doctor?" Godzilla asked.

Pietro's Aura flared for a moment, it's color a lime green. The same as Penny's blood.

It didn't take the Kaiju long to put two and two together.

"Your life force powers her." He stated.

"In a sense." The doctor affirmed. "Penny is one of a kind. She possesses an artificial soul and an Aura, something other machines don't have. But whenever she dies and needs rebuilt, she needs a new soul. Which kills me a little bit."

"Meaning you give her a potion of your own soul each time you do this?" Godzilla wondered.

Penny's father nodded.

"You won't survive this." Godzilla stated. "Judging by your Aura, you only have one more chance left in you. If you do this..."

"I'll die. Yes." Pietro confirmed. "But my daughter deserves her own life. She protected one of her friends, which is why she got so hurt. I don't fault you for that."

Godzilla turned his head away from the wheelchair bound man.

"I... don't deserve her friendship." He said. "Until now, I treated her like scum. I treated her like a machine, an imitation of life. But she's not a machine, she's a person. I don't regret much, but... I regret that."

Pietro just smiled. "Then I'll give you a chance to make up for it. Take care of my daughter." He requested.

"Of course." Godzilla replied.

Pietro activated the machinery in his shop and started repairing Penny's body, which took a few hours.

After the repairs were done, Pietro got into a device, with Godzilla putting Penny in an identical device.

Pietro took one last look at his workshop, before he let out a content sigh and activated the transfusion process.

The two pods started glowing green as Godzilla observed the process, before he had to cover his eyes to block the bright light from blinding him.

Pietro screamed as his Aura was transferred to Penny, which also transferred his soul into her.

After awhile, the pods opened and Pietro crawled out of his pod before falling onto the floor.

Godzilla walked up to the dying man and knelt down to hear his final words.

"My daughter... is she.... alright?" The doctor asked.

Godzilla nodded, which made the man smile.

"Good... She's so very lucky... to have such... good... friends." Pietro said, before breathing his last.

Godzilla saw how peaceful the man looked and closed his eyes.

"Sayonara." He began. "Tomoe."

Penny's eyes fluttered open and she found herself in a familiar place. Her father's workshop.

Penny sat up and saw Godzilla kneeling on the ground. She tilted her head in confusion, before the Kaiju stood up revealing her father's withered body.

"Daddy?" Penny whispered.

"I'm sorry, Penny." Godzilla said. "He traded his life for yours... and it killed him."

If Penny had tear ducts, Godzilla was sure she would be crying right now. Her hurt and sad expression conveyed what she was feeling at that moment.

Godzilla could sympathize with the girl. After all, he knew what it felt like to lose a father. Dagon was a fierce warrior, but even the father of Godzilla had fallen to Mechagodzilla. A fate Godzilla had almost shared.

"Come." He said solemnly. "Let's bury your father."

Penny just got up and helped the Kaiju dig a grave for her father. The two managed to dig a hole that could fit a human body, and brought the man's body outside.

Godzilla placed the doctor in the hole gently, then nodded to Penny and two buried him.

Once that was done, Godzilla planted a stone in front of the grave, and used his claws to carve an epitaph.

"What was his name?" Godzilla asked.

"P-Pietro." Penny replied.

Godzilla nodded in thanks before he wrote on the stone.

-Here lies Pietro Polendina. Beloved father, and doctor. Be at peace.-

Godzilla stepped away from the grave and put his hands together as if in silent prayer.

Penny mimicked his actions and the two paid their respects to Penny's father. It was a silent moment.

A moment that was ruined by a strange scent.

Godzilla opened his eyes, a snarl escaping his lips as he turned to face this new threat.

"Show yourself! Now!" Godzilla shouted.

Raven stepped out of her hiding place, sword drawn. Her mask hiding her face.

"You must be Godzilla." She said.

I'll call the chapter here. Godzilla has now seen proof that Penny is not a machine, but her own person, and her father Pietro sacrificed himself for his daughter. This tugged at my heartstrings and I'm the one who wrote this! As always though, comment, rate and leave advice so I can improve. Have a good night guys.